NorCal (Sierras) Run/Camp this summer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NorCal (Sierras) Run/Camp this summer?

KJL

Reaction score
City, State
TURLOCK, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 4.0 4x4. 00 4.0 2x4
Now that my son is older (8 months now) me and the wife want to do a camping trip in the Sierra Mountains early summer and figured id ask if anyone wants to join for a weekend, i dont know any members in the valley... Anyone interested, im up for anything (getting cabin fever wait for my 1992 4x4 to get finished) so suggestions are welcome...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i am game. let me know. i should be fully recovered from surgery i am going to have soon and will need to get out and camp and wheel.

Wherever. I know hunting zones lol. Never gotten a chance to hunt the X Zones so I don't have much experience with the high sierras. My rig isn't set up for rock crawling or anything but me and the wife like riding the trails and just being outdoors am what not. Like I said I've never done any kind of off road run an I don't really know anyone with explorers and wanted to see what members were in the area and do a meet and greet weekend. Hell id be up for finding a run in the sierras and just joining there but I don't really see those neither.

I was thinking May or something. Lots of time for people to join and get things (like my rig) ready and not scramble at the last min

If you guys have some ideas throw them out.

I don't know if I'd call it a "wheeling trip" cause when I think of wheeling I'm thinking rocks and doglegging a wheel and breaking stuff on the trail. Which I am not prepared for lol.

More of a meet and greet for the northern CA members or WHOEVER. I'm a "the more the better" kinda person.

If you guys have any suggestions or input let me know. I don't have anything set in stone or anything specific

Again me and the 1992 are getting cabin fever!

Possibly in for this.

Check out the Fresno 4wd club for there blue mountain run. It is pretty mild and somewhat close just below shaver lake. It is in Mid May.

A trip I want to do s start in the Fresno area go through Yosemite and Tioga pass and end up in Bodie area. Spend two nights there then come back through Yosemite. Would have to be a July- September run though.

I be down for something in may. I know plenty of light trails with great scenery up and down the sierra that can be run in a day. It just depends on how far you want to drive. If you want to come up toward the truckee area, or if you want to find something south of that. Sounds like it could be fun.

Hmmmmm.... Keeping an eye on this thread. I LOVE the Shaver lake area, and the trip thru Yoosemite sounds interesting also.

When did you move to the Bay?

Moved up here in September for a new job.

I be down for something in may. I know plenty of light trails with great scenery up and down the sierra that can be run in a day. It just depends on how far you want to drive. If you want to come up toward the truckee area, or if you want to find something south of that. Sounds like it could be fun.

Interested in a little day trip sometime soon? Just something to get out of the city on a weekend. Where in the Bay Area are you?

Im an SF native and now live up toward vallejo. There arw tons of great trails once you get past sacramento, theres even a nice trail in south lake tahoe thats easy to get and would be great for a day run and a meet and great. We could get some great meet up pics for the forum, the scenery is beautiful. We would have to wait until may when the snow melts and they open up the roads again.

I was hoping for something closer than Sacramento, like some fire roads somewhere close to the Bay. Oh well, I'll keep my eye on this thread.

Well, theres always svra parks like hollister hills and frank raines. You could get to frank raines in 2 hours from the SF. To be honest, unless youre willing to drive out for more than a few hours, you wont find anything worth hitting up. But of you are game, the possibilities are endless out here once you get outside the city. Heading up to tahoe will blow your mind if you havent been yet.

Ok so we have a few suggestions... lets take a vote.. the wife and kid wont be coming but i have a few friends that want to head up with us.

FYI, my birthday is May 24 :) so thats why i was thinking may plus its not to hot or cold...

im starting a new job tuesday so im sure by then i can secure a weekend off.

what dates and places works for everyone?

my 1992 is stock as far as suspension and what not but from what i read on here that the explorers do pretty good stock, by then im sure i will have better tires, at least some A/Ts of not something more aggressive.

Edit: Is there a way to get all the suggested spots on a voting poll on this thread? im not an elite member yet so if anyone would like to throw one up here, or the link to one that would be great.

Back