*NOT* buying used tires - side note - ford fusion key? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

*NOT* buying used tires - side note - ford fusion key?

Guam'sBest

Reaction score
City, State
Atl, GA via Tyler, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
02xlt
:scratch:thanks for looking ppl. guy said one of the tires is worn much more than the others... go figure. i'm passing. i'll keep looking. anybody know where i can find a deal on a set of 4? i'd like a little a/t look but don't have a ton to spend. sound off.
side note: i finally found someone to cut and program keys in the atlanta area. Ace Hardware near West Paces Ferry and I75 for those in the area. i'm surfing ebay for a key... was it the ford fusion key/remote that works? (if i remember correctly).
btw am i allowed to change the post and topic like i did? i don't want to set off any alarms here. i'm still learning the rules.
:scratch:

what's up guys/gals?
it's been a while since i've posted, but i'm back and i brought a question with me.
first off, understand that i'm broke. that being said...
i'm searching for a used set of 265/75/16's to replace my worn tires. i found set but it looks like there is some uneven cupping wear. i need to know if this will affect my suspension once they're on. the set has plenty of tread, but the wear looks a little uneven. i really don't want to get a set that will f**k my truck. plus, saving money on a used set doesn't make sense if they cost me money somewhere else. what do you say?
i have a couple of pics of them if anyone wants to see but i don't know how to post them (or if i'm allowed yet - being a newbie).
any advice helps. i told the guy i'd come check them out around 3 today. its about 12:45 now.
:salute:

thanks for looking ppl. guy said one of the tires is worn much more than the others... go figure. i'm passing. i'll keep looking. anybody know where i can find a deal on a set of 4? i'd like a little a/t look but don't have a ton to spend. sound off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow! That's some post. Learn how to type and ask your question coherently.

What are you looking to spend?

What are you looking to spend?

hopefully a couple hundred. i'd spend 3 hundred if they were worth it. i don't plan to spend too much if they don't have much life left.

keep an eye on craigslist.org you might find something there

that's where i do most of my hunting. the problem is, in atlanta there are more 20" to 24" rim and tire combos than anything. i don't think i could live with myself if i put those on my truck. the shame would be unbearable.
thanks for the advice! :thumbsup:

does anybody know if the key to replace the oem key and remote in one piece is the ford fusion one? it's been nearly a year since i was here last and i had to dig for the answer back then.

one last thing...
i suppose my original post and edit were somewhat hard to read. you'll have to excuse my ADD for kicking in while i was posting. i was trying to express as much as possible in a few quick lines.

Wow! That's some post. Learn how to type and ask your question coherently.

one of the things i enjoy about forums is the ability to keep your posting casual. so unless i butcher the english language beyond comprehension (or you are a moderator), don't bother insisting that i tidy it up. i'll extend the same courtesy to you.

If you're willing to spend 300, why not just spend a little more and get a real good set of new tires? If you take the time to rotate them every 5K, they will last a very long time!

i would rather spend less on a good set of used because money is tight lately. plus, $300 isn't a starting point for me right now... it's more of a limit. $200 range is much easier to budget.
if you know where to get a brand new "nice" set for close to $300 i'm all ears. i don't know where i can find them for under $600 (taxes and mounting included). keep in mind that i live in the metro atlanta area.
i'd love to get some new rubber with the stubbies and all, but at $3.60 a gallon of gas (and that's a welcomed price after the summer) and at $3.50 a gallon of milk... my wallet has lost weight.
seriously though, do you know where i could score 4 new ones for $3ish?

Found some tire for you on Tire Rack .com Price is $80 a piece. So $320 for the four and shipping is around $40. But from your profile it looks like you are in Alanta GA and one of Tire Racks warehouses is there. They may let you come pick them up for free.

Here is the link to the tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&load_rating=F&load_rating=G&minSpeedRating=S

This one is for reviews by customers pretty sure there are a few on from explorer owners. pretty well rated tire for the price.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ating=F&load_rating=G&minSpeedRating=S#Survey

Here is the link to all the Ford reviews on them

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surv...ompare1=yes&tirePageLocQty=&partnum=37TR6KR21

Just curious.

Why is this posted in the stock 2002-2005 Explorer forum when it's for a Fusion?

OP has a '02xlt. a few posters have said they got the ford fusion key to work but you need two working keys to program a third.

for tires i once found a set of 5 tires/rims for $250 off a new jeep where the guy upsized, only had about 5k on them, bad news is i looked for a couple of months before they poped up on a local jeep board. Check the local junkyards sometimes you can find a total where someone just put new tires on.

Found some tire for you on Tire Rack .com Price is $80 a piece. So $320 for the four and shipping is around $40.

thanks for taking the time to look at pricing for a new set. i honestly appreciate that. but...
i'm looking for 265/75/16's. i searched again on the tirerack site and the lowest set they have, at $76 each, is:
265/75R16 Firestone Winterforce
Blackwall
bad news is that they aren't in stock in GA and shipping plus taxes put these at around $415.
oh and i spent a winter in missoula. MT is incredible. i wish i had seen glacier when i was there. i did drive over to seattle and the scenery was incredible. too bad i didn't see more of the northeast. but i was really broke and driving my first car back then (a 93 ford probe!). needless to say, it was NOT suitable for snow/ice or mountain passes.

Why is this posted in the stock 2002-2005 Explorer forum when it's for a Fusion?
it's not for a Fusion... i'm just asking if the Fusion key is able to replace the key and remote on the 02xlt. i need a second key/remote set.

OP has a '02xlt. a few posters have said they got the ford fusion key to work but you need two working keys to program a third.

for tires i once found a set of 5 tires/rims for $250 off a new jeep where the guy upsized, only had about 5k on them, bad news is i looked for a couple of months before they poped up on a local jeep board. Check the local junkyards sometimes you can find a total where someone just put new tires on.

thanks for replying about the fusion key. excellent! i'm buying one today from ebay, unless you know of a cheaper source? last time i looked, they were running around $30 buck. (yeah i said buck not bucks)
i only have one key, but the ace hardware shop said they can cut and reprogram if i have only one key.
and yeah i'm looking at junkyards too. the closest one is about an hour out, but they have a lot of explorers checking in. i'll just have to exercise some patience to get a good deal.

I think eBay would be the cheapest for a Fusion key.

i only have one key, but the ace hardware shop said they can cut and reprogram if i have only one key.

Unless ACE/he has a Dealer Scanner (NGS, WGS) or something similar, no he can't. To program another Key, it has to be the third one and two working keys are required to put the PATSII into program mode to accept another key. Dealer can trigger it with the scanner. If you don't have two keys then you have to make the trip to the dealer or locksmith with a scanner, maybe the ACE does??? I brought my own pre-Cut key and they only charged me for 1/2 hour - $45. Others have forked over $90 to the @#*&$ stealerships.

Been there.

Back