Not looking forward to this....have to buy new tires, rebuild the front end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not looking forward to this....have to buy new tires, rebuild the front end

plance1

Reaction score
City, State
cincy ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport trac
Im running 265 75 16s with a 1" TT, I've had Toyo Open Country AT's and Cooper Discoverer ATP's on my 02. My model has 4wd.

I now need some new tires. All I care about really is wet weather traction and snow (my wife uses the truck more than I do). We don't go off-road. I know its a shame lol.

What do you think?

Oh by the way, my steering is sloppy and I'm assuming I need some front end work. I've been doing some searches, my question is are the MOOG parts that much better or should I just let my mechanic get what he needs?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm a big fan of the Goodyear Wrangler SRA. I first had them on my '94 Explorer, then bought a set for my '02 Sport Trac and my son's '97 Mountaineer. Never have had a problem getting around on the streets in or after snowstorms in Des Moines. I drove the Explorer to work one morning through about 10" of fresh snow before the streets were plowed and had no problem. I've done the same with the ST. I see them on a lot of newer F-150s around here. That must have been the tire put on at the factory. Good all around street tire in my opinion. NOTE I SAID Wrangler SRA, some of the other Wranglers I wouldn't want at all.

I had Goodyear Wranglers on my AWD 2000 Mountaineer when I first got it. I hated them. Rough ride, poor handling. My first choice is Michelin LTX's. Good ride, excellent handling and they wear like iron. If you don't want to pay that much, I just put a set of Fusion tires (255R70x16) on my '01 ST for $467 out the door. Rugged looking, 50,000 warranty, ride/handle okay. My son-in-law recently put a set of Starfire (made by Cooper tire) tires on his '97 Sport (15" wheels) for $344 out the door). We put a set of these on our first Explorer (now deceased) and liked them pretty well, though not a M&S tire, we got good mileage out of them.

As far as replacing the front suspension parts, it really wasn't that bad of a job, at least it wasn't on a rust free truck and having the right tools.

There are several Wrangler tire models. The ones you describe don't sound like SRAs.

Work network won't let me access the link above. I'll check when I get home.

Considering my Ex has almost 200k on it, I've gone through multiple sets of tires. Original Firestone ATX Wilderness's were replaced by Ford for Mich LTX AT's. Very nice tire as long as I didn't have to pay for it. I then went to Mich M/S. Also a nice tire and it better be for almost $600 a set OTD. I then switched to Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor. They sucked. Terrible handling, terrible traction especially in wet and cold, and only got about 20k out of them. I complained to Goodyear and they gave me a prorated discount on a set of Goodyear Wrangler Radials. Couldn't be happier. Nice ride, great cold weather and wet traction, and nice handling (for an Explorer). I've got about 30k on them and still a lot of tread left. I know the Wrangler SRA is a better tire but the standard Wrangler Radial can be had for a lot less and the marginal benefit is negligible IMO. I've seen them at WM for as low as $75 - about $380 installed/balanced/lifetime rotation.

As far as front end work goes... it depends upon if you have the time, tools, and gumption. I did front sway bar bushings, end links, inner & outer tie rods, tie rod ends, UCA with ball joints, lower ball joints, hubs, shocks, and brakes (pads/rotors, no calipers) all for less than $1300 with misc materials. I had my shop do the rack & pinion. If you think you can do, I say go for it. This group is a GREAT resource for know-how and encouragement!

Yes, those are the ones, although mine aren't rated quite that high for speed and load - maybe due to the size difference (235/70/16 vs 265/75). The tread pictured is the older style tread like was on my Ex and my son's Mounty. The tread on my '02 ST's tires is slightly more aggressive even though they were bought within 2 weeks of the tires on the Mounty at the same Sears.

My experience has been like the reviewer with the Ranger, not like the others with bigger trucks. I have no complaints at all.

My '01 ST has Firestone Destination A/T. The rears were put on right after I got it and look to be holding up well. Can't really say how they perform because I haven't driven it except in good weather. Daughter and wife drove it last winter.

Most people don't realize the traction ratings on the sidewalls refer to stopping only, not traction to get going.

There are several Wrangler tire models. The ones you describe don't sound like SRAs.

Work network won't let me access the link above. I'll check when I get home.

I'm pretty sure they were A/T's

I just checked an old photo I had of the truck and all they say on the sidewall (in raised white lettering) is "Goodyear Wrangler Radial".

That sounds like the bottom of the line Wranglers with the rounded shoulder/tread. I don't think those are any good. Walmart may still be selling those, but they also have a Wrangler line that's exclusive to Walmart that looks like a decent tire. Can't remember what they're called, but it ends in II. Maybe Wrangler II? Someone on this forum (I think) said he liked them.

As I recall from reviews on the Sears site, people with SUVs and smaller trucks liked the SR-As, but people with full size trucks didn't like them at all. It's sometimes hard to decipher reviews because they sometimes mix dissimilar vehicles and even tire lines within brands and lump the reviews all together. Unless the reviewer mentions the specific tire, he may not even be reviewing the tire you're looking at. That goes for reviews for most everything.

As I recall from reviews on the Sears site, people with SUVs and smaller trucks liked the SR-As, but people with full size trucks didn't like them at all. It's sometimes hard to decipher reviews because they sometimes mix dissimilar vehicles and even tire lines within brands and lump the reviews all together. Unless the reviewer mentions the specific tire, he may not even be reviewing the tire you're looking at. That goes for reviews for most everything.

This is why I hate embarking on this search.

I think the "Goodyear Radial Wrangler" is the low end Goodyear 'Wrangler' tire. The set I bought was direct from Goodyear and it is a quality tire for what I paid - $85/tire iirc.
There is a tire advertised an WM called the "Goodyear Radial Wrangler" that has the same load/speed rating (105s) so I assume that is the same tire. At WM that tire was listed for $74.50. There is also a Wrangler Silent Armor listed on both the WM and the Goodyear sites so I assume those are the same tire. The Wrangler Dura Tec is shown at WM but not on G'year so it looks like that might be the one exclusive to WM.
Regardless, the GY Radial Wrangler has been an excellent tire for my purposes and a good bang for the buck.

This is why I hate embarking on this search.

And you have to be able to read between the lines of reviews and weed out the reviewers who were prejudiced against the brand/product before they bought it.

I had Hercules Terra Tracs (Hercules is made by Goodyear) before I lifted my truck in 255/70-16s and they did great in all road conditions and did well in snow. I was able to navigate through 4-8" of snow-covered roads without issue.

That was with ~400lbs of sand in the bed and when I was in high school so still learning the ropes of driving in snow.

As far as other tires, I hear great reviews for Duratracs and Toyo AT2s. I will be putting the Toyos on my F350 when it comes time for new tires. Both of these are a little more aggressive than what you want it sounds like though.

I had Hercules Terra Tracs (Hercules is made by Goodyear) before I lifted my truck

FYI, Hercules is made by Cooper Tire in Findlay, OH.

Goodyear's "alternative" lineup includes Fierce, Kelly, Dunlop, and Douglas. Outside of the USA, the Dunlops are produced via Sumitomo, which Goodyear owns many non-Asian divisions of.

Cooper Tire is also behind Mastercraft, Futura and Avon. (and Starfire as mentioned earlier)

Tire companies are worse than banks and airlines when it comes to who is really who. BF Goodrich hasn't made a tire since the late 80's, which blows the mind of most tire guys.

OP- I'm pretty well satisfied with my Michelin LTX m/s2 "green x". Its a very quiet, comfortable ride tire that has a high tread life. Easy to keep clean, balanced, etc. All that I wanted. But they are a little pricey. Also made in the USA by mostly Americans.

I have Goodyear duratracs and so far love them. I've put over 7k miles on them including lots of wheeling. So far they are wearing great but have minor blemishes from wheeling. You won't have this issue if you don't offroad. I've heard people getting 50k plus miles out of their duratracs and I think I'll get at least 35k. I've done trails with over a foot of snow and they handled great. It's a more aggressive tire that costs a little more but I'd buy them again.

Back