Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
I am trying to change the O2 sensors on my rig and need a little help from those who have done this...I am having trouble reaching the pigtail plugs for the O2 sensors. It's the pigtail electrical connector that is way up in there; it's a simple plug, but I just can't reach it.

Is there some trick to reaching up there and unplugging the old pigtail and plugging the new one in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did mine, it was hard, but I did it, and I have really long and skinny arms that i think would help.

When I changed mine, I ended up physically getting on top of the engine, pulling out the two small push-in plugs that Ford has installed on the wires to pin them to the bellhousing on the tranny, and pulling the old sensors up through the engine compartment via their wiring. Once you get the old sensors to the top, you can easily disconnect them, hook up the new ones (keep the protective covers on them for now), and thread them back down through, the way the old sensors were. Then when you have both sensors dangling down below the engine, you can take off the covers and tighten them in. Also, you'll probably want to start tightening them while they've been turned a couple of times counter-clockwise, because if you don't the wires will end up getting twisted as you tighten the sensors into the exhaust tubes.

Thankfully I only have one, but I did the same thing as Ray. On the install I pre- reverse -twisted mine for the install, so that as I tightened the sensor in the wire untwisted with no kinks.

Its not really much fun- you would think the connector would be easier to reach! A body lift may help if you have one installed- it might make enough room between the firewall and the bellhousing to get a "not so skinny arm" in there!!

Good luck.

"Good Luck" ehe. It looks like I need it. I thought it would be a simple job. ehehe. I can tell this will be more difficult to do than changing the back two pass. side spark plugs was.

I will have to pull them up from the top, because there is no way I can get my arm in between the firewall and the bell.

It would be bad if I managed to get the old ones disconnected, but then was unable to re-connect the new sensors!

Maybe I should just pull the trans and engine. Then I could plug them in easily. :)

snip snip....

I bought a universal O2 sensor...didnt have to disconnect it from the plug-in...The univ. model had bare wires...I just had to cut the stock pigtail and splice the wires...didnt have to wrench around trying to disconnect..

Thnks for the replies; As suggested, I think I am going to try loosening the O2 at the pipe trying not to twist the wire too much, then pull it up through the top using the wire, where I can easily disconnect it. Installation is reverse.

I am not sure what to torque the O2 sensor to, the Haynes doesn't mention it, it just says "tighten securely" so that's what I'll do.

Back