Odd Electrical Gremlin - Driver Window/Sunroof/Compass Fault | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Odd Electrical Gremlin - Driver Window/Sunroof/Compass Fault

JeepGuy25

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer E.B.
Hey all. Ive been having an odd issue with my 2010 Explorer. Every so often, twice while trying to go through the dunkin donut drive through, my driver window fails to go down. Its happened 3 times since I've owned it. This past weekend it happened both saturday and sunday.

What happens is my driver window is completely unresponsive. The sunroof will not open. And my compass in the dash shows "--". Everything else seems to work so far. All the other windows work from the driver controls.

Ive tried shutting it down, taking the key out...waiting for a few minutes, then restarting. The problem doesnt go away...but later it will be gone like it never happened. This morning it happened again, and all I did was poke the driver window switch a few times. I happened to glance down and see that my compass started working again, and then the window was working.

So something tying some of those systems together is randomly faulty. Im REALLY hoping its something with the driver master window switch somehow. My fear is that its a "module". I have no idea where to even start looking for that.

Any ideas?

Justin

Anybody? This is really starting to irritate me. I looked through wiring diagrams. CB1 (circuit breaker) is common among them...so my thought was ok maybe something is tripping it, and its not resetting properly. I.E. the auto driver window is maybe tripping it. However, other things run through CB1, and they seem to work during this condtion.

I pulled the driver master switch assembly, to see if unplugging it caused the issue...and it doesnt. Sunroof and compass still work.

Still searching. Getting worse with the cold weather it seems. Which is indicating possibly a relay issue. The only issue is...I cant seem to narrow it down. I was thinking maybe the accessory delay relay, but this morning the problem cropped up, and upon taking out the key, I still was able to roll down all other windows except driver. So the retained power and the delay relay I guess are still working.

This is so frustrating. I tested the grounds, all good and even if they werent, they dont cause the symptoms.

I really need to know what controls the accessory/delay relay...and where that relay even is located.

Justin

Back