OEM Remote car starter, 2008 LTD Explorer 4.6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Remote car starter, 2008 LTD Explorer 4.6

Fiddler50

Reaction score
City, State
Nova Scotia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 & 2008 explore LTD
I bought a Ford 7L3Z-19G364-AA Car Starter and a PATS unit. My local dealer wants to charge me $87/hr for 4hrs (installation). Is there a video or simple instructions on installing it myself out there? Thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check it out, I think this is the same. It's going into an F-150, but says in the post that it is a similar install. When you're done, let me know how hard it is. I have an Avital aftermarket remote starter and it's kinda quirky, so I wouldn't mind puttin this in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3sU2KNGamw

^^ thats an new f150. its completely different unless you had a new explorer.

There is NO simple solution. for this install. first off you wasted your money buying the ford brand. that one is actually made by code alarm with a ford logo on it. Problem with that unit is the range on it will not compare to any aftermarket. the install of that one is NO different than say a viper brand one.

you need a dmm to test all the wires, a wiring diagram of your truck. The average remote start installation can take (even an expirenced installer) anywhere from 2-4 hours. you have to wire things under the dash, you have to wire things under the hood. if you test or tap into the wrong wires you can casue serous damage to the truck. airbags can deploy, you can fry a computer.

IMO return what you have, go to a shop and have them install one for you that way they give you a warranty on their install and product. Most shops will not install something they done sell.

I agree with aaron's advice. I would have loved to install the remote start in my X, but just didn't have the time to do it right. So I went to the best installer in Syracuse and had them put one in. It works great and has a good range, and came with a 3 year warranty. The warranty came in handy because the antenna went bad after 2 1/2 years and they replaced it for free.

Too late to return it. Bought it on a auction site for $194. I called another Ford dealership and they said to call FutureShop..
Just got off the phone with them ($150).

Thx for the replies.

Too late to return it. Bought it on a auction site for $194. I called another Ford dealership and they said to call FutureShop..
Just got off the phone with them ($150).

Thx for the replies.

$150 works!!! Go for it..

Anybody out there has instructions on installing my remote car starter (7L3Z-19G364-AA)? Thx..

I had it installed today and it works awesome. Charged me $250.

That's awesome! I wish I had aa stock one. The only feature I like about it is I can park, put it in park with thee engine still running, push the remote start button twice, and then remove the key and the engine keeps running. This is handy if you start the car in the cold and forgot something inside and need to go back in. Not good to shut it right off again...

Back