Oil in my car 5w30 bad for a car with 63k | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil in my car 5w30 bad for a car with 63k

98XLTLMEdition

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Exploer XLT LM OHVV6
I went to do my mom and dad a favor and bought my mom some Mobile 1 5w30 motor oil for her 04 EB Expedtion and some motor craft 10W30 for my car and the matching filters.... I got home and he siad he did not want sinthetic in it because the places that do the changes on the car normally wiill charge out the ass and that he said its bad to go form non to synthetic and back....well i said f it he bought it any ways and i put the 10w30 intended for my car in the expedition and put the 5w30 in my explorer....is that bad....is there any truth to what my dad said????? oh and by the way i think its nice the car seems to be runnigj cooler and seems to be getting better gas millage is that normal when you change your oil...or is that just what sythetic does???? Thanks In advance. Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of car do you have? lol Explorer car?

yes in my explorer its a 98 with a OHV V6 XLT 2wd

well, if you have been religious about your oil changes, then it shouldnt be a big deal. the main reason you want a heavier oil in an older car is due to the valve seals being leaky as the car gets older. this is minimized if you have regularly changed your oil.

Oil-no issue for you.

I use Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic oil in all my vehicles, including my Corvette. In fact, it is the required oil for the Corvette (at least the 1994).

I have used synthetic for years in every vehicle I have owned since ~1990, and never had an issue. I swear by that stuff! I've had high mileage, low mileage, went from regular oil to synthetic...no issues...relax :smoke:
It has better flowability at low temps, higher thermal breakdown resistance, and the list goes on...take a quart of 5w30 regular oil and a quart of 5w30 synthetic, and put them in the freezer overnight, and then remove and pour them and check out the difference...that regular oil will be like molasses, and the synthetic will pour much faster, thus getting to vital parts quickly.

It's the best oil you can put in your vehicle, IMHO...never had any issues.

It's worth the extra cost to me for that reason alone. Plus you get a little better gas mileage and some free horsepower...a no-brainer.

Just my $0.02

ive got 171000+ and i still use 530 valvoline and she doesnt leak or burn a drop(knock on wood)

Isn't the Explorer is supposed to run on 5W-30? The new ones come from the factory with 5w-20 synthetic :rolleyes:

At my dealership we use 5w30 non-synthetic bulk. We have a service plain on a bank that they bring all there vehicles in for all service. some explorers have 230+ miles. keep up regularly and stay constant with your oils and they will last forever (not really ''forever'')

I use it in my truck !! if its free its for me :thumbsup:

I have been using Mobil 1 5w-30 for the last 73,562 miles. It still runs as smooth as the day I got it.

Yah I like the Sythetic Mobil 1 5W-30 Thats in the car it takes longer to heat up (which is good in florida) Runs cooler(im assuming the engine doesnt have to work as hard) and seems to be getting 2 miles per gallon better on gas...Im likeing it alot so far evenif it does cost more...I keep up my car verry well its the life of a 19 year old kid! thanks for all the replies

I use 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer, both Valvoline dino oil. I've never really bought into the idea of using synthetic oil. I change my oil frequently enough that I'm not worried and am not really interested in spending the extra money. Does synthetic have to be recycled separately?

My Ford dealer (actually my friend in Parts) told me not to use the 5w20 synth blend Motorcraft sells in the 4.0 V6. Otherwise, I decided to switch to Mobil1 simply because my truck doesn't get driven much (considered 'severe duty').

D.

So what will happen on my 93 ex w/ 129,000 if I switch to synthetic at this point in time?

I wouldn't run 5w-20 in a 4.0 either. Ford just does it to up their fleet gas mileage. I ran synthetics in a 96 ohv with over 130k on it with no problems.

if you switch to syn now with 123000 miles it will probably leak like a wet paper bag syn is "thinner" than convetional oil so it will find the weakest spot (good way to find those pesky hard to locate oil leaks though) :)

It's not a viscosity thing, the oil particles are just smaller and more uniform like ball bearings. Conventional oil is like jigsaw puzzle pieces. I doubt you will leak if you switch over. If you do you could always just go back. If it leaks now on synthetic I bet it will start to leak later on, no matter what oil you run.

I switched to synthetic in my old mustang at 85k miles. It started to leak a little more oil than it did before, about 1/2 quart per 3k vs. 1/4 quart per 3k with non synthetic.

Back