Old undercover explorer with fog lamps and relay in panel with no FL switch in cab | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Old undercover explorer with fog lamps and relay in panel with no FL switch in cab

Airplanemechanic

Reaction score
City, State
Muncie, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005, ford explorer mixed
Hi there group!
So this (originally 4.8L) exploder has had an engine swap with, from what I was told, a similar model year (4.0L) explorer...
I don't know if the wiring harness and relay/fuse panel was swapped along with the engine, but I assume so.
My issue, is that the original chassis was equipped with fog lamps. Wires are ran from lamps on the lower bumper to panel up on the driver side, panel has the relay. But there's no switch on my dash. The headlight switch assembly doesn't have an engagable position, and there's no autolamp sensor up by the windshield. Unless that's what the red blinking light with the smoke colored dome is...
I did some explorative disassembly on the instrument and vent trim panels and found a 5 wire run, 8 pin molex, plug that's capped with a yellow cover. I don't know what that's supposed to plug into, but its part of the same harness leg that goes to my headlamp and panel dim switch. Could that be the plug for an individual fog lamp switch that my dash panel isn't equipped for(yet)?
TIA!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there group!
So this (originally 4.8L) exploder has had an engine swap with, from what I was told, a similar model year (4.0L) explorer...
I don't know if the wiring harness and relay/fuse panel was swapped along with the engine, but I assume so.
My issue, is that the original chassis was equipped with fog lamps. Wires are ran from lamps on the lower bumper to panel up on the driver side, panel has the relay. But there's no switch on my dash. The headlight switch assembly doesn't have an engagable position, and there's no autolamp sensor up by the windshield. Unless that's what the red blinking light with the smoke colored dome is...
I did some explorative disassembly on the instrument and vent trim panels and found a 5 wire run, 8 pin molex, plug that's capped with a yellow cover. I don't know what that's supposed to plug into, but its part of the same harness leg that goes to my headlamp and panel dim switch. Could that be the plug for an individual fog lamp switch that my dash panel isn't equipped for(yet)?
TIA!

You activate the fog lights by pulling the headlight switch out towards you

You activate the fog lights by pulling the headlight switch out towards you
It's not that type of headlight switch. I know which type you're talking about, but mine is just the basic 3 position; off, drl, and low beams.

Definitely would have kept the 4.6.

Why not just add a different switch to trigger the relay coil?

Definitely would have kept the 4.6.

Why not just add a different switch to trigger the relay coil?
I would've too! My dad was just looking for a beater with a heater to get him to and from work. I guess the mechanic/scrap yard owner convinced him that a engine swap with the rollover explorer he had was a better deal in the long run? There must've been more problems than just the valve cover having blown a chunk out, I can't see my dad having swapped a whole engine if it only needed a new valve cover on the head.

Back