• Register Today It's free!

? On Spring Rates

Jet Ski Puller

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac 4.6
My stock Explorer had a nice smooth ride, without many of the vibration problems I've read about on here.

But, since I've installed my Skyjacker lift, the front springs are just pounding me on the pavement, and because they are so stiff, I get a chatter vibration (up-down, not side-side) at about 70-75 mph. You really don't feel much of it in the wheel, it's mainly under your feet. I've had the tires checked for roundness and balanced twice and it makes no difference. Its fine on smooth asphalt, but if I get on rougher concrete, the chatter becomes unbearable.

I measured the wire diameter and it looks like it's about .060" larger than stock. Don't know if the coil spacing is different. Didn't think to compare before installation. I just figured buying the "Softride Suspension" would give me a decent ride. Anyone know what the spring rate is for a stock coil vs. a Skyjacker 4" lift coil?

I've also heard of Superlift coils referred to as 118 and 133. Is this spring rate? How does it compare to stock?

Anyone tried to make a 4" spacer kit for the front end and just use the stock springs? I really don't spend all that much time wheeling, the lift is mainly for looks. I've engineered one on paper and it looks like it should work pretty well.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Back