Ordered a 301... only took 4 weeks to get the dora number from my salesman. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ordered a 301... only took 4 weeks to get the dora number from my salesman.

GeekLegion

Reaction score
City, State
Visalia, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Limited Explorer 301
I ordered my 301 last month... but I finally got the DORA out of them today. Only took 5 extra visits. I don't have the dealer number but hopefully that won't be to hard to figure out. I was also given the last 10 digits of my vin which is just enough info so I know I have one but not enough to try to pull the window sticker.

I've been lurking a while, but now that I got that number I'm hoping that I only have a small number of weeks left to wait. Can't wait to compare notes with everyone here.

Anyway - I will PM Cory as everyone suggests. We'll see where we are at soon enough!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered my 301 last month... but I finally got the DORA out of them today. Only took 5 extra visits. I don't have the dealer number but hopefully that won't be to hard to figure out. I was also given the last 10 digits of my vin which is just enough info so I know I have one but not enough to try to pull the window sticker.

I've been lurking a while, but now that I got that number I'm hoping that I only have a small number of weeks left to wait. Can't wait to compare notes with everyone here.

Anyway - I will PM Cory as everyone suggests. We'll see where we are at soon enough!

I'll take pity on you :) Here - stick this to the front digits since it sounds like you ordered a Limited: "1FMHK8F" You can validate your VIN here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/vinResults.asp

With that you should be able to pull up your window sticker and production date - good luck!

Excellent idea - I get a 17 digit number, but both the site you provided and the window sticker sites say the vin is invalid. You were correct that I ordered the limited - I didn't go for the eco-boost.

I tried looking up another limited or two online so see if there were any other prefix combos.... no luck. I even studied up on the VIN format, so I'm guessing the info given to me is wrong. Maybe there is a 2nd check digit in the production sequence number? If I was using a valid 2012 explorer prefix, it has to be able to tell my vin is invalid by some secondary check.

This should have worked - Once I figure it out why it didn't I'll let you know what the issue was.

Try this link. The previously posted one didn't work for me either. It must have been the results page. This one should take the VIN. At least it works for me:

Dead Link Removed

Excellent idea - I get a 17 digit number, but both the site you provided and the window sticker sites say the vin is invalid. You were correct that I ordered the limited - I didn't go for the eco-boost.

I tried looking up another limited or two online so see if there were any other prefix combos.... no luck. I even studied up on the VIN format, so I'm guessing the info given to me is wrong. Maybe there is a 2nd check digit in the production sequence number? If I was using a valid 2012 explorer prefix, it has to be able to tell my vin is invalid by some secondary check.

This should have worked - Once I figure it out why it didn't I'll let you know what the issue was.

When I checked those should be the missing digits from the VIN, so I'm not sure why it says it is invalid? Sorry - but I see someone else has posted a link too, so maybe that will help. As far as I know, only the last 6-8 digiits of the VIN are unique.

Good luck!

When the initial URL didn't come up, I just clicked the menu item and opened up the page. Thanks for stepping up to help.

Using the first 7 + the last 10 given to me results in an invalid pin, no matter where I try to use it. I'm thinking that the last 10 given to me is incorrect. It was sent to me in email, so the guy probably typed in into his email incorrectly.

Hopefully the DORA is right and we'll sort this out soon.

We have an answer! I was given the wrong last 10 digits of the VIN.
The links provided were good.

For everyone else wanting to know the timing (if you are thinking about ordering an explorer....)

Ordered on October 12th, 2011
Received DORA November 8th, 2011 (We know it has been available for a couple of weeks before this date, but that is a different subject)
Estimated Delivery November 21st, 2011

Waiting is the difficult part.

I have a 2012 Limited 4WD Explorer inbound:
Ordered 10/10/11
Received VIN 10/17/11
Online window sticker 10/24/11
Scheduled to be built 10/31/11
Built 10/31/11
Scheduled for delivery 11/11/11

We have an answer! I was given the wrong last 10 digits of the VIN.
The links provided were good.

For everyone else wanting to know the timing (if you are thinking about ordering an explorer....)

Ordered on October 12th, 2011
Received DORA November 8th, 2011 (We know it has been available for a couple of weeks before this date, but that is a different subject)
Estimated Delivery November 21st, 2011

I can find the build date on mine, but not an estimated delivery date - where do you get that from?

I can find the build date on mine, but not an estimated delivery date - where do you get that from?

The estimated delivery date came from sending a private message to Cory via the forums.

It's still an estimate but it's better than the "I can't look that up" from the dealer.

Here's my story...it's been a long wait and it's not over yet!

Ordered our 2012 Explorer Limited Sept 30
Received a VIN Oct 28
Online window sticker Nov 9
Build Date Nov 16
ETA @ Dealer Dec 18
I still don't have a DORA!! Thank god for this site everything else online or I would have no info at all. The dealer is useless and I am becoming an expert at vehicle ordering! I'll know lots more for next time!

If I am reading my sticker right... my build date is November 8th.
I don't know enough to say why you ordered before me and are scheduled later than mine. I got the 301A. Someone else with a 301A has a shorter scheduled delivery time.

Do you know if your dealer got the order in immedately? Did they have allocation for a vehicle? I know that my dealer said that they had allocation available to order.

Does it take long to ship other things to where you are at? Do you have bad weather / snow / orcs where you live? Without details it's all guesswork.

I ordered around Sept 15th or so. My build date is November 11th.

The reason for discrepancies is that they line up/source parts depending on what configuration you are purchasing. In my case a Limited with Tech and Tow Packages. There is also the priority of the order. Mine was an 18 priority.

My ETA has moved from 21st to the 22nd, but it is on the move! We'll see what day it actually arrives.

If it shows up as scheduled, that will be a 6 week delivery.

Back