Over heating/Tranny shifting problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Over heating/Tranny shifting problems

idrojdpj

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4 door 4x4
Here is the problem.
My tranny is shifting too early from 2nd to 3rd. When it gets in 3rd the RPM's are too low and it shifts back to 2nd and then within 5-7 seconds its back in 3rd again. If I mash the accelerator like I am getting on the freeway and force the engine to go through the rpm band it shifts fine.
Also my engine is running hot, hot enough to turn on my "check gauge" light. I changed the tranny fluid and filter thinking that it may be bad but no dice. Still doing the same. Could it possibly be the fan clutch going out and bogging the motor down? NEED SUGGESTIONS!

There are no strange noises or metal shavings in the fluid.

I need help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the tranny: Try resetting the computer and see what happens, if it's still boogered up, try changing the TPS

For the motor: Your t-stat is probably stuck, repalce it.

If your alternator is starting to go, it can affect the shift points of the Tranny. Have your charging system checked at a local autoparts store or Sears. They usually do it for free. I'd also replace the T-stat ASAP.

overheating/tranny problem solved

Thanks Guys,

It turned out to be a combination of the thermostat and old tranny fluid. :bounce:

Be sure to change the filter inthe pan and be sure to change all the ATF not just what is in the pan, Also consifder adding an aux external filter too.

Good luck....

Back