• Register Today It's free!

overdrive wont turn off!

jmoracco

Reaction score
City, State
amarillo
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer4x4
Well my over drive off button seems to do nothing. I have checked the switchs resistance and it checks out ok, i checked for voltage to switch and voltage is only at 3.2 volts, i do not know if that is normal, all i know is i am not able to turn my over drive off! Transmissions are my weak point when it comes to automechanics. I love manual transmissions but thats probably because I know them. If anyone might have a suggestion on what is going on, the info would greatly be appreciated. THANKS!!!!
FORD=First On Race Day!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know it sounds stupid but did you check the fluid?

Well my over drive off button seems to do nothing. I have checked the switchs resistance and it checks out ok, i checked for voltage to switch and voltage is only at 3.2 volts, i do not know if that is normal, all i know is i am not able to turn my over drive off! ......
FORD=First On Race Day!

not sure what you mean.... the switch (this particular one) should have NO resistance when it is operated AND have "full resistance" when it has not. Further, there should be ~12v going to the switch BUT I am "suspicious" as to how / what you are measuring so we might be "talking" different "languages".

Hey guy's. The fluid is good,Lol. I wish it were that simple! As for the switch AKA the button on end of shifter, the haynes manual said to check for continuity across the pins of the switch as depressed, if no continuity then switch is bad. I checked and the switch, per haynes check should be good.

BUT you didn't explain how you tested for voltage.... the value you got doesn't appear correct.

PS. It is highly unlikely related to fluid levels.

However unlikely, when my overdrive button stopped working I checked the fluid and it was low due to a leak in the cooling lines, after some fluid, works fine.

Did you check for blown fuses? I think it's either #26 or #27. One of the two wires going to the O/D switch chafes through the insulation and blows the fuse. I just repaired the wire on my '96 EB. The back-up lights are also powered by the same fuse and they quit working so I was trying to figure out where the short might be. Then I saw a thread here about the wires going to the O/D switch. I checked it and it was chafed. Just a thought.

Hmm my backup lights are not working either, but I did check that specific fuse and all others and they were all good. Interesting! i wonder if a wire broke! oh yea and I tested voltage with volt meter at one of the pin sockets and grounded at dash. IF a wire or ground was bad for the backup lights, I wonder if it would affect the o/d since its on the same circuit?

well, there is your answer... IF the voltage coming into the switch isn't ~12v, the "thing" ain't going to work as the pcm uses that input to "detect" a button depression..... assuming your "ground" during your measurement was good.... I don't thing the dash is "reliable" as a ground... but you can also check to make sure you really have a good ground to measure to.

Im definitly going to check for voltage again using an actual ground off fuse block and if it's still not 12v then looks like i get to have the fun of searching for a bad wire! Thanks for the help! I will post when I find the problem so that maybe it could help someone else later

well.... IF you find that the voltage is "lacking", it is likely a goooooooodddd chance that splice has gone.... aaaannnndddddd that splice is close by... :) In my 96 drawings, its near the light switch. Good Luck

There's a clamp on the steering column near the base of the gear shift lever that holds the wire from the OD button. The wire flexes at this clamp and can break over time. Remove the plastic steering column shrouds and check continuity of wires from OD button to steering column contacts with ohm meter with ignition switch off. Be sure to wiggle the wires some when checking continuity as the broken strands in the wire can sometimes barely touch enough to give zero resistance on ohm meter but won't carry the voltage necessary to turn the OD off.

Back