• Register Today It's free!

'P' on shift selector stays lit

angelo49

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY Lancaster, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 EDIE BAUER
The 'P' (park) stays lit with the trans in park, engine off, and doors locked.
It never goes off. The truck sits a few days at a time and the 'P' on the selector is still lit.
Any ideas?
I also posted this on Automotive Forums.com
Angelo
2009 EX EB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is only 1 small bulb that illuminates the PRNDL panel... are you saying just the P stays lit up or is it the whole thing and its wired to the illumination circuit i cant see how it can be on and not every light with the headlight switch

This is the PRNDL letters at the shift selector on the console.
Whatever 'gear' your in is the only letter that normally lights up.
When you put it in park the 'P' is lit, but its should go out when you shut
the engine and leave the vehicle.
This light never shuts off.

This is the PRNDL letters at the shift selector on the console.
Whatever 'gear' your in is the only letter that normally lights up.
When you put it in park the 'P' is lit, but its should go out when you shut
the engine and leave the vehicle.
This light never shuts off.

I'm pretty certain that the whole shifter panel (PRNDL) gets lit up no matter what gear you select instead of only lighting the 1 selected gear. I know when I had my Mercury Sable I had replaced the shifter panel light and inside there was a little orange transparent square that moved along with the shifter to indicate and highlight the corresponding gear that you were in.

When I have my Explorer parked and off, the 'P' is colored red and is differently colored than the rest of the gears. Is this what you are seeing and you believe it to be illuminated?

there is only 1 small bulb that illuminates the PRNDL panel

Is this what you are seeing and you believe it to be illuminated?

Well, this is embarrassing.
I bought the truck last Thurs. (Faulkner, Mechanicsburg) Never drove it at night with the lights on, so I never saw the illuminated PRNDL panel MotorCityFats13

All I ever saw was the red/pink ''light'' which was actually what I believed to be illuminated PotatoExplorer
Gotta' get out at night a little more.

Whoa, weird. I'm actually in Mechanicsburg right now typing this, haha! And it's actually more orange than red. No worries though, we all have those 'oopsies' moments

Well all be darned, we have an 07 and I never even realized it was supposed to light up. I always thought it was stupid to have a position indicator that you couldn't see at night. I will replace the burned out bulb with an led I guess.

Wish I could say ''glad I could help,'' but.........

The 'P' (park) stays lit with the trans in park, engine off, and doors locked.
It never goes off. The truck sits a few days at a time and the 'P' on the selector is still lit.
Any ideas?
I also posted this on Automotive Forums.com
Angelo
2009 EX EB
I now have the same issue with my ranger, did you by chance get the answer for the problem?

Back