• Register Today It's free!

P0402 excessive exhaust flow

wildstang

Reaction score
City, State
Orange, Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 and 96 explorers
I have replaced the egr, the sensor that bolts to it and the solenoid that the the vacuum hose connects between egr and the solenoid. The explorer is a 96 v8. The first garage said it was the dpfe sensor but there is no dpfe on it. I was told that the solenoid shouldn't send vacuum to the egr at idle.

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 97 manual says:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 941

The self test is not expecting to see EGR flow, so either the EGR Vac is on when it shouldn't be or the EGR valve is stuck open.
Since you replaced the EGR valve, then I would look at the EGR vacuum regulator.

Oops Edit again: If you already replaced the EGR vacuum regulator, then look to make sure the vac hose is clear.

I replaced the vacuum hose from the solenoid to the egr valve because the original ripped when I took it off.

Should that solenoid be sending a vacuum to the egr valve when it is idleing?

Is there a ford shop repair manual available on line that would go through the steps of checking the system?

Thanks for the help.

I have the 97 manual. I printed the diagnostic routine as a PDF file. Send me a PM with an email address, and I will send it to you. (I can't post it here)

Back