• Register Today It's free!

Paddle Shifters Not Working

Moema2k

Reaction score
City, State
Cary, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Hey Folks : Just picked up a new 2015 Explorer Sport. Love it. I'm running into an interesting problem that I was hoping someone could shine some light on. The paddle shifters no longer work. I can put the vehicle in ‘M’ manual mode and from a dead stop, accelerate and try to shift using the paddle shifters but nothing happens. As a matter of fact, the control logic to keep the engine from over revving does not even take over. The way it’s operating now, I can place the vehicle in ‘M’ mode and accelerate in first gear and it will never shift gears (with or without the paddle shifters). My understanding is that system logic is supposed to take over and shift to a higher gear to avoid causing the engine to rev too high. Additionally, when the vehicle is in Drive mode, I try to use the paddle shifters to downshift and upshift and nothing happens. Any thoughts ? I'm planning to go back to the dealer but didn't know if there was any kind of reset I could perform to turn the paddle shifters on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Moema2k. :wavey:

I don't know if a System Reset will do anything or not. The 'reset' is an option in one of the MFT screen menus. Also, you could try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10-15 minutes and see if reconnecting it will help. Both options will result in the loss of some saved memory settings.
I think that this is something that the dealer should have a look at. Not sure if an issue like this would store any trouble codes or not.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I've reached out to the Dealer. I'm sure they'll be able to fix it. I'll advise on the outcome once they've diagnosed and corrected the problem.

Thanks Peter. I've reached out to the Dealer. I'm sure they'll be able to fix it. I'll advise on the outcome once they've diagnosed and corrected the problem.

Thanks for offering to keep us posted, Moema2k. If you'd like, I can get this on the radar of your regional customer service manager. To make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Crystal : please excuse my ignorance but I'm having a tough time trying to figure out how to PM. Can you please enlighten me.

Thanks,

Moe

Crystal : please excuse my ignorance but I'm having a tough time trying to figure out how to PM. Can you please enlighten me.

Thanks,

Moe

Hi Moe,

Click on the FordService to the left of this message and select the option to send me a private message. Let me know if you're still having difficulty and I'll do what I can to help. :)

Crystal

Update

I was scheduled to meet with Service to present this issue. On my way to the Service Department, I mashed on the accelerator to get through an intersection and to my surprise, the paddle shifters started working again. On one hand I was glad to see that they were working again but on another I was really hoping for service to run an in-depth diagnostic to determine a root cause. It always makes me a bit nervous when problems are presented and through unknown reasons disappear. The Service Department suggested that I monitor the paddle shifting usage and if the problem resurfaces to contact them for further analysis. So, at this point it's a wait a see game.

Thanks for your support Crystal. I'll advise further on this if the problem comes back.

Back