• Register Today It's free!

passenger door won't lock

5bigdaddy5

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac 4X4 XLT
My passenger door on the 04 Sport Trac won't lock. The keyfob, remote entry or key does not lock it. When I try the key in the door, all the tumbler does is spin...no restriction what so ever.
I can't even move the pin near the window up or down on the door to lock or unlock. You can see it try to move when using the remote.
All other doors work fine with key or remote.
Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is a small plastic clip on the inside that probably broke like mine did. Just take off the door panel and look in there. there is a long metal rod that runs from the pull pin(manual lock and unlock). that metal pin connects the key slot to the motor? i think. I cant remember off the top of my head.

But just take a look and you should see whatt i mean. I just hooked it back up and used some duct tape :) and works fine. or you can replace it.

Obviously a problem with some linkage on the inside of the door.
This happened to me today at lunch on my Limited on my drivers door.
I took the door panel off tonight to figure it out, since I couldn't lock the door.
And it looks like for me that the metal rod that connects to the tumbler came off. I couldn't find anything inside the door that looked like it fell off. And that metal rod was getting wedge in a spot keeping me from being able to lock the door.

So now I have the metal rod moved out of the way so I can at least lock the door. But, I can't unlock it with the key fob. I have to unlock all the doors and open the rear driver's side door and reach up to my driver's door and pull the handle.

Maybe I will look inside the door of my Sport Trac to see how its supposed to look. But I'm too busy this week to get that done. Maybe next week.

guess im going to have to take my door panel off and take some pics of that plastic clip. It took me a while to figure it out.

guess im going to have to take my door panel off and take some pics of that plastic clip. It took me a while to figure it out.
I have my Sport Trac to look at for comparisoin, but I'm just too busy this week to get to it. Probably I will be able to this weekend.

Does the door panel just pop off (door clips?). I could not see any screws to remove??

Thanks,
D

there are a few screws I think. But it is held on by plastic door clips. Becareful taking off and putting your door panel back on. You can break them easily.

I am finally going to tackle the door problem this weekend. Anyone have any pictures of the door with the panel off to see what I'm looking for? Also any guidance on how to take the panel off would be helpful..
I may get adventurous and change the door speakers while I'm at it.
Thanks,
BigD

Back