• Register Today It's free!

Passenger side power window...

whitetigr

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Sport
I'm a new member here and I just know someone can help me. I own a 1996 Explorer Sport, and about 2 weeks ago I went to roll up my passenger side window using the driver's side switch but it wouldn't work. I reached over and used the switch on the passenger side and the window went up fine. The next day, I got into the truck and the driver's side switch for the passenger window worked just fine. No problems with any switch until 2 days ago. I rolled the passenger side window down with the driver's side switch as always...no problem. Then when I got to work, the passenger side window wouldn't go up with either switch. Now, my window is stuck down and won't go back up. However, I haven't had ANY problems with the driver's side window. All the posts I've read deal with neither of the windows working, or fixes for the 4-door Explorers, but I have one that works and one that doesn't on a 2-door Explorer. Sorry for the long read, but I need to get this fixed as soon as possible so I can remove the plastic that's covering the big gaping hole in my passenger door where my window used to be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could really use some advice. I worked on this some more today, and still can't get the passenger side window up. I even tried to manually lift the window, but it wouldn't budge. HELP!

not sure what you expect.... have you checked to see if there is voltage at the motor to the window? Your window isn't going to "pull up" by you doing something manual. Go ahead, try it on the other "working window" (without touching the controls).... it isn't going to move. So... you need to determine whether you have an electrical problem or mechanical problem.

As a test, and to close the window, run a 2 conductor wire directly from the battery to the window motor. If the motor moves the window, your problem is electrical. Reversing the wires will make the window travel in the other direction. If the window won't move with a direct feed, the motor is probably shot. Check rock auto for new motor.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. That's all I was expecting budwich. I'm not very knowledgeable about the whole voltage thing, and I'm not a mechanical wiz, but I did read about the direct wire route from another post. I was just trying to see what all might be done without removing the motor from the door. I also don't have the resources to just take it somewhere and get it fixed. I'm going to have to do this on my own. Thanks.

Back