Performance Bolts Ons - 97/98 OHV into 93 Swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Performance Bolts Ons - 97/98 OHV into 93 Swap

Good info

What is the current opinion of new (made in Taiwan) Dorman Camshaft Position Sensors/Synchronizers?

A few years back there were a number of threads on this board (mostly 5.0 engines) and others wherein members were complaining of issues with them. Have these issues been resolved?

Were there any issues other than the pins breaking? Any bushing issues?

I have a new Dorman sensor. Am I better off with a Cardone remanufactured unit?

I also have a different used Ford synchronizer I'll be using to make an oil pump drive to prime the engine. I have to take the pin out to remove the gear from the shaft. If the only issue with the Dorman is the pin breaking, I can replace the Dorman pin with the Ford pin.

Any input?

Fast Forward - old engine out, parts swapped to new engine, and it's almost ready to go back in.

I installed the cam position sensor and followed these instructions:

"Rotate engine two revolutions to take up slack in timing chain and return to No. 1 cylinder to its compression stroke.
Verify that No. 1 cylinder is on its compression stroke. NOTE: No. 1 cylinder must be at 26 degrees ATDC to set CMP sensor."

I then set the sensor with a voltage meter and it's ready to go or so I thought. This morning I began to worry I may have introduced some slack back into the timing chain.

I had rotated the engine clockwise two turns, but may have (don't remember) rotated it counterclockwise (back) a hair in my **** attempt to get it right on my 26 ATDC mark on the balancer. Did I reintroduce slack in the timing chain that is going to throw the timing off?

Back