• Register Today It's free!

Plans for mods - your thoughts??

dtholmanmax

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
Well, I'm trying to plan out my mods to my white XLT 4x4. I'm not really in to true sport trucks and, while I understand everyone's thoughts on making a 4x4 sportier, I really don't care to put big tires/lift on it. I really got the X to pull my boat and my thinking on the 4x4 was that if I got into some trouble, I could use it from time to time or when slipping on the boat ramp. Here's what I'm thinking in the way of mods, considering that I just had my first kid and expenses will definitely play a big factor in the speed at which I make the mods - wheels/tires will have to come last unless I find some for a great price...
-Billet Grille/shave emblems/remove pinstripe
-Clear Corners
-Black plastic running boards - from somewhere...
-Yellow lens fogs from ebay - tried the yellow bulbs but blew one within 3 months and it fogged up the inside of my clear lens on left
side
-Dreaming of cobra-r rims - 18s or 20s...probably will end up settling for none at all

Can anyone think of anything else or have any other suggestions? Any other suggestions for wheels - that I can dream of? Any & all suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Def get rid of the pin stripe. Everything else sounds good too. I wouldn't go with 18" wheels though, only 20's. 18's just look to small on the Explorers I think

i wouldnt go with 20s or 18s id go with 16 at the most with an all terrain bf goodrich ko not exspensive i dont see the use of 4x4 with 20s yea you can get A/T and M/T for 20s but theres not enough rubber to do any grippingthats my openion now i am from mississippi and most of are boat ramps are the lowest part of the river bank

got a roof rack ? take it off

kkm intake or comparable.
exhaust

def dont put larger rims on a 4x4... absolutely rediculous idea... i would say get a 360 degree air filter (cold air intake) which will save on gas... and also get a new muffler cuz the stock ones on the explorers hold back so much air that u get poor gas mileage... also change out ur headlight bulbs.. if u wanna spend a pretty penny then go with HID headlights off ebay but if u just want a clear, cheap, bright white light go with silverstar 9006s.. worth the purchase.. only 40 bux

def dont put larger rims on a 4x4... absolutely rediculous idea...

I disagree. Just because someone has a 4wd doesnt mean they plan to wheel it. I say go for the 18's or 20's. When my truck was lifted I had AT's on 20" wheels and they performed great off and on road. And, I had 18's with 35" tires on my Land Rover. If it looks good, do it.

I disagree. Just because someone has a 4wd doesnt mean they plan to wheel it. I say go for the 18's or 20's. When my truck was lifted I had AT's on 20" wheels and they performed great off and on road. And, I had 18's with 35" tires on my Land Rover. If it looks good, do it.

oo well agreed... on large trucks it def helps to fill out the space... but explorers r close to impossible to put a lift on.. if rancho goes thru with plans for those struts then go for it

x2 almost everyone I know has 20's and mud terrains, and most will mud there truck.

It really depends on what one will be doing with there truck. this guys not talking about bogging his truck or doing the rubicon, sounds like he;s talking about driving down a half way maintain fire road or dirt road in which case he will be fine. thats if he goes off road boat ramps and snow seems to be the main motivation.

and i think the lugs r bigger on a bigger tire although i could be wrong... although i kno for a fact that from a 265 (31) to a 285 (33), the lugs almost double in size

Back