Platinum vs ST - has anyone compared? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Platinum vs ST - has anyone compared?

jerbroni

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Explorer Platinum
Hi folks,

I ordered my first Explorer awhile ago, and sadly it is stuck in purgatory due to the stop-ship order. At the moment, my dealer has a new Platinum available which I was thinking of swapping out for, but it pains me to lose out on the ST features... aside from the softer suspension/appearance parts/etc - I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare power-to-pavement performance in between the two (perhaps some 1/4 mile runs or something? lol). Google is giving me squat!

As of last year, the Platinum has been given the same power output as the ST, and the only powertrain difference is in the axle ratio - wondering how much of an effect it has had, if anyone's had the chance to sample between the two.

This really stinks but my Edge ST is too small for our new needs and at this rate I likely won't see my order show up until November - and that's assuming a lucky fluke.

If anyone has any feedback, I'd appreciate it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think they are moving forward with deliveries now, might want to wait a week and recheck before switching lanes

Hi folks,

I ordered my first Explorer awhile ago, and sadly it is stuck in purgatory due to the stop-ship order. At the moment, my dealer has a new Platinum available which I was thinking of swapping out for, but it pains me to lose out on the ST features... aside from the softer suspension/appearance parts/etc - I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare power-to-pavement performance in between the two (perhaps some 1/4 mile runs or something? lol). Google is giving me squat!

As of last year, the Platinum has been given the same power output as the ST, and the only powertrain difference is in the axle ratio - wondering how much of an effect it has had, if anyone's had the chance to sample between the two.

This really stinks but my Edge ST is too small for our new needs and at this rate I likely won't see my order show up until November - and that's assuming a lucky fluke.

ST does 0-60 in 5.1 Platinum does it in 5.6. As far as real life goes, I don’t think you will feel a difference. The ST is sportier looking, Platinum is chromed out. Really what your preference is at this point.

I think they are moving forward with deliveries now, might want to wait a week and recheck before switching lanes
Haven't had any news anywhere yet :( A few dealerships have mentioned that they have vehicles en route, but the date keeps pushing back to the following month :(

ST does 0-60 in 5.1 Platinum does it in 5.6. As far as real life goes, I don’t think you will feel a difference. The ST is sportier looking, Platinum is chromed out. Really what your preference is at this point.
I think the 5.6 is the original 2020-spec Platinum; that's what I'd seen in some reviews going back a few years.

Doing some research last night, if I do go Platinum I may just get a tune and get the same post-tune result as an ST... with maybe even more a minor difference on the butt dyno :) Seems like powertrain (aside from the axle ratio) is exactly the same. Note that I'm in Canada and I also found out that the Canuck Platinum STILL gets the detuned 365hp for whatever reason. I'm guessing that they didn't want to file paperwork for emissions.

Haven't had any news anywhere yet :( A few dealerships have mentioned that they have vehicles en route, but the date keeps pushing back to the following month :(
I was advied that the issue has now been identified as a hardware problem and not software. It will reult in all 360 rearview cameras having to be replaced. There are currently over 22,000, apparently occupying the Chicago Speedway, sitting there awaiting the "fix" which I was told could be in September. My Aviator is one of them.

Peter

Hi folks,

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If the Platinum your dealer has is a 2023, they will not be permitted to sell it due to the outstanding recall. My dealer has 3 new Aviators on the lot that he is unable to sell because of this recall. The recall has resulted in a stop sale/ship order.

Peter

I was advied that the issue has now been identified as a hardware problem and not software. It will reult in all 360 rearview cameras having to be replaced. There are currently over 22,000, apparently occupying the Chicago Speedway, sitting there awaiting the "fix" which I was told could be in September. My Aviator is one of them.

Peter
Hi Peter, thank you for the welcome!

I have to confess that I've been lurking for about a month now, both here and on the lincoln forums - and actually forwarding your info to my dealer (and the FB 2020+ Explorer group!). If it had not been for you, I would probably be waiting impatiently with little knowledge as to what's going on, as most dealers seem to be out of the know.

A few dealerships have told me that they simply get an error when trying to sell; however, they (and my own where I placed the order) have told me that they can still transfer the ownership to me, albeit with a signed disclosure that I am aware of a recall on the unit. Mind you, I am buying from my old area in Toronto where they seem to always get away with a little more... I did try a local dealer here for a test drive of the Platinum and they handed over the keys without a word - then told me to try submitting a request to carcostcanada for an invoice price and bringing that in - at which point I could walk away with the car in a couple of days.

I know that local legislation mandates backup cameras - so I figure that's the only reason why they are able to pull this off north of the border (the recall seems to be NHTSA-mandated)... but to me, this is such an unimportant "issue".

Waiting until September for a fix means a likely best case November arrival of my car... more likely that it'll be Dec or Jan right in time for salt and a dirty new car... which is killing me as I need something bigger than my Edge. It's really *annoyingly* frustrating as this kind of attention should have been paid to the 3 bolt subframe ... which now has two class action lawsuits open stateside. That's something that I wouldn't mind waiting for them to address... but I should be careful what I wish for! :p

Hi Peter, thank you for the welcome!

Waiting until September for a fix means a likely best case November arrival of my car... more likely that it'll be Dec or Jan right in time for salt and a dirty new car... which is killing me as I need something bigger than my Edge. It's really *annoyingly* frustrating as this kind of attention should have been paid to the 3 bolt subframe ... which now has two class action lawsuits open stateside. That's something that I wouldn't mind waiting for them to address... but I should be careful what I wish for! :p
I didn't notice that you were in Ottawa at first. I hope September is accurate as my lease is up on Oct. 31st but I could extend it since I do have a vehicle on order. I have been dealing with Dupuis Ford/Lincoln in Casselman since 2010 and they are great to work with. They were a family run business for over 60 years until Jim Keay bought them a few years ago but kept all the employees in place.

Peter

I didn't notice that you were in Ottawa at first. I hope September is accurate as my lease is up on Oct. 31st but I could extend it since I do have a vehicle on order. I have been dealing with Dupuis Ford/Lincoln in Casselman since 2010 and they are great to work with. They were a family run business for over 60 years until Jim Keay bought them a few years ago but kept all the employees in place.

Peter
I've heard of them; I'm not too familiar with the locals here as we moved to the area just a couple of years ago in 2020... but have heard good things.

In this case, I've been looking at getting out of leasing and monthly payments, so outside of the extra needed space vs the Edge, I am also not sure how I feel about a few more k lost to leasing until whenever my ST arrives (could be Oct, could be Dec, could even be next year). Just killing me here as Ford is not committing to anything - or communicating anything.

Do you happen to remember how well they did with getting past vehicles off their storage lots? I know that this happened with Broncos and F150s - where a few workers were going from parked vehicle to vehicle adding missing parts. Again, a Sept date for "available fix" is good to know, but the questions remain; how long for the parts to become mass available for installation on parked cars, how long will they need to get to our cars, and then how long until they ship. Can't overnight 21,000 cars!

It isn't just getting the fix to all those sitting on lots but there currently is also a shortage of vehicle transport drivers to add to the mix.

Peter

It isn't just getting the fix to all those sitting on lots but there currently is also a shortage of vehicle transport drivers to add to the mix.

Peter
Well, here is an update of my own (taking it with a grain of salt for the reasons that we discussed):
Ford just updated my anticipated delivery date to the week of September 18th.
Not to sound pessimistic but I am not holding my breath... though it's better than the rest of the guys who keep being given a date of today+1 month :|

Well, here is an update of my own (taking it with a grain of salt for the reasons that we discussed):
Ford just updated my anticipated delivery date to the week of September 18th.
Not to sound pessimistic but I am not holding my breath... though it's better than the rest of the guys who keep being given a date of today+1 month :|
Sounds promising.🤞

Did you find that on the tracker? Maybe ours will arrive together. I haven't heard from the Lincoln customer service rep in a couple of weeks.

Peter

Sounds promising.🤞

Did you find that on the tracker? Maybe ours will arrive together. I haven't heard from the Lincoln customer service rep in a couple of weeks.

Peter
I still think that it is more than overly optimistic but we will see!

This was at the dealership; we looked my order up just to see where it stands.. there were some orders that came after mine which were still sitting expecting a july deliver, and obviously weren't updated yet. Just a bit of a mess there :(

Halt the suggested festivities above, there will be no beer kegs at the bar… Cassens truck drivers on strike now and Yellow just went belly up 🙈

Back