Please help me identify some Explorer parts! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help me identify some Explorer parts!

MrBill

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Greetings,

A few weeks ago I purchased a 2006 Explorer and I have figured out almost everything about the vehicle, with 5 small exceptions. There are what appear to be some electrical parts installed in various parts of the car which I cannot identify. I've done all of the following with no luck:

- Checked with the used car dealer who sold me the car, but found out the car was a repo and the seller knew nothing about it.
- Dug in the manual, but found nothing about any of these 5 items.
- I had a recent tenant who retired 2 years ago after 25 years as a Ford automotive designer. He checked out the car but also did not recognize the items.
- I've searched, but honestly can't figure out what key words to search on so my searches were fairly worthless.

My guess is that all 5 items were from after-market electronics that were installed by the original owner. If anyone can identify any of the items from the pictures shown on the following web page, by exact manufacturer and model name if possible, I'd be greatly appreciative.

http://aa4m.com/explorer/

Additionally, if I've posted this message in the wrong sub-forum, please let me know where it should be posted.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

#1 and #2 are for a cell phone or 2-way radio of some kind. You can make that antenna match any frequency you want by installing the correct length mast for the frequency. #3 looks like an aftermarket alarm system indicator and I have no idea what the other two parts are for.

picture #5 a cover for the wire on the autodimming mirror ??? Cant tell the size of it from the picture.

I have the exact same red button in my 96 explorer in the same part and i've been wondering what it is for too.

picture #5 a cover for the wire on the autodimming mirror?
Although I don't have an auto-dimming mirror, I just tried and the part fit over the wiring leading to my mirror. Thanks for the help!

The red led/button looks like a code alarm indicator/valet switch, my GF's 02 has it as well

The red led/button looks like a code alarm indicator/valet switch, my GF's 02 has it as well
Do you know the manufacturer/make/model of the unit that the button is attached to? Maybe your GF has the manual for the unit, which might answer all my questions about this item!

The manufacturer is code alarm, if you can locate the module under the dash (Might be Ford branded as it was a dealer option) you might be able to get the PN and look for the users anual online, sorry, I'm sure that she had the manual but when she moved out of her parent's she lost it, might turn up some day, but I already tried for another member with no luck.

BTW it is an add on for the factory keyless so it uses the same FOB, so you might already be using it

BTW it is an add on for the factory keyless so it uses the same FOB, so you might already be using it

I never see it light up, blink on/off, or anything else - so I probably need a manual to find out if I can get it working or not.

I used a mirror and found the unit under the dash, but will have to wait another month or so to take a close look at it. The reason is that I recently had surgery on a pinched nerve in my neck and it is still too sore for me to maneuver my head under the dash. :(

Ok Bill, try this (found the owners manual) look below the dash around the area where the hood release is, you should find a small button (It has a brown wire) then turn the key to ON (no need to start the vehicle) and press that button, the led should start flashing

the red button is for a alarm a pretty cheap one from the looks of it.. number 4 is bass controll try to twist it.. or it might be a kill switch for the cheap alarm..
number one and 2 are for a cell phone in the car.. one of the early hands free devices..

look below the dash around the area where the hood release is, you should find a small button (It has a brown wire)
I looked but did not find this button. But, I did manage to move the well-secured black box from under the dash into such a position that I could read the information on it. There were 2 labels on the box . . . the first was a very large white label which said which color lead went to what electrical line in the car. There was a 2nd smaller yellow label stuck on top of the white label. This label had the following information imprinted upon it:

Code Systems, Inc.
(Machine Readable Bar Code)
103172-0
102059-3-CPLMM

I guess that what I have is a Code Systems alarm system, model CPLMM, although I have been searching online and have not been able to find a manual. Of course I wonder why an after-market alarm system was installed in the car - wasn't the factory alarm enough?

Since my last post, I've already found out more about my unknown parts:

#1 & #2 are most definitely for an external antenna of some kind. It turned out that there was NO holes in the glass, in spite of what the seller told me. I was able to pry #1 off the outside of the glass, then clean the glass so that there was no trace of this item. Removing #2 was just a matter of cutting the connector off the end of the wiring, then pulling the wire through from the other side. Unfortunately though, the part of the connector on the inside of the window glass is glued on HARD. I carefully started to remove it, but found that the glass tint was from a plastic film that was on the inside of the glass, not between 2 panes of glass as I think it should have been. Had I removed the connector it would have taken a large piece of dark tint with it, so I left it alone. I doesn't look bad with the connector left in place, and it definitely isn't in my way, so this doesn't worry me. #1 & #2 are no longer "unknown". :thumbsup:

#3 & #4 are definitely part of the Code Systems alarm system. I've found that #4 blinks quickly, but only when I press the upper left remote button twice (and hear the horn). Then if I deliberately set off the alarm, the light on #4 blinks faster and the button on the back of #4 will shut off the horn, which I definitely think is a design flaw. More on this if/when I find a manual.

#5 is part of the rear view mirror is is no longer an "unknown". :)

Back