please help, wobble back and forth, have new control arms what else!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

please help, wobble back and forth, have new control arms what else!?

orion1998_1

Reaction score
City, State
Johnson City, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 mounty
replaced upper front control arms, still wobbles back and forth starting at 40 or so. in the past month or so also replaced rear wheel bearing pass side- still getting squealing from there. looking over things it seems "tie rod" rear driver side is bent what could be wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How are the tie rod ends in the front?

They seem ok? Any check I should be looking for? I did notice today that with motor running in park turning wheel lock to lock I'm getting a little squeaking, could it be steering tie rods?

I believe if you jack it up and then grab the wheel at 9 and 3 try to see if you have any play.

I did notice today that with motor running in park turning wheel lock to lock I'm getting a little squeaking, could it be steering tie rods?
Did you turn the wheels with the engine off when you replaced UCA's? Turning lock to lock to purge
air in the power steering system? If that didn't help it may be time to find a free alignment inspection.

Good catch Hawaii. Good points.

i just replaced my control arms, shocks, links etc., due to wobbling. even though i checked the tires as the source of the problem in the beginning, i also have a used tire shop around the corner i am friendly with so i took the tires and rims there and we noticed some flat spots and some crowning from not taking care of the control arms when i should have.

I am sure you checked the tires etc., as the source first, but if it wasnt, they may have been sacrificed by the weight (or angle,,,,or something) of the ball joints flopping around in there.. just a thought.. good luck

Back