Pop or Clunk in Front End Please Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pop or Clunk in Front End Please Help

jbrown123

Reaction score
City, State
Greeley, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Okay I have this 1998 Explorer, and I think I pretty much replaced every part in the front end suspension. The only thing I have not replaced is tire rod ends and wheel bearings. Anyway every time I go over a speed bump, hit a dip in the road, or uneven pavement I hear this like pop or clunk in the front end, and it's always on the driver side. I also feel a pop in the steering wheel when I accelerate. I have had this darn thing in the shop a million times and no one can find a problem. Like I said everything is new; new upper and lower ball joints on both sides, new cv axles, new sway bar links and bushings, new rack and pinion, and new shocks. The only two things that have not been replaced are the tire rod ends and wheel bearings. I am not hearing a humming noise or clicking. Just a nasty pop or clunk when hitting a speed bump or dip in the road. My husband thinks it has something to do with the torsion bar, but I just don't know. Please if anyone out there has any idea what this could be please let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Torsion bar pads could be gone... That is a symptom. The sway bar body mounts are usual culprits, but if you've replaced those, I'd look at the torsion bars too...

I will check the torsion bar pads, but do you think this could be a tire rod end or wheel bearing? What are the symptoms of a bad tire rod end or wheel bearing?

x2 torsion bars... Especially if you can feel it in the floor boards

Well I can feel it under my feet and I can feel a pop in the steering wheel when I go over bumps or when I go to accelerate. I can really hear it when it happens its very loud.

Yeah, it feels just like something metal tapping the floor boards under your feet. I chased that for a year on my first Explorer and it ended up being the torsion bar pads...

Yeah it sort of feels like a tapping under my feet, but I guess my biggest concern is the noise when I hit a speed bump or dip in the road. If I go real slow over a speed bump or a dip than I don't really hear it, but if I go a little faster than the noise is loud. It sounds like the front end is falling apart.

Yeah, it feels just like something metal tapping the floor boards under your feet. I chased that for a year on my first Explorer and it ended up being the torsion bar pads...

Hey Joe. I have the same issue going on. There are only two things NOT replaced on my front end. 1-wheel bearing/hub. 2-torsion bar pad. Is that also known as an insulator? Also, where did you get them? And, how hard is it to do them? Do you have to unload torsion bar? Will I need an alignment after?

Thanks in advance Joe,

Scott

Can somebody post of pic of the torsion bar pads? I might have the same issue.

anybody have any feedback on if this is a fix? this same problem is driving me crazy on and aerostar. all my symptoms and parts i've replaced are eerily similar to the explorer problems. i'm going to look into the trans mount next also

I'd also like to see where these pads are.

Hey Joe. I have the same issue going on. There are only two things NOT replaced on my front end. 1-wheel bearing/hub. 2-torsion bar pad. Is that also known as an insulator? Also, where did you get them? And, how hard is it to do them? Do you have to unload torsion bar? Will I need an alignment after?

Thanks in advance Joe,

Scott

I bought mine from State Spring on Division just north of 76th St...

Not sure what they called them, the guy there knew what I was asking about... Our mechanic where I used to work put them on one day, so I really didn't get a chance to see what he did. :(

Just a quick post- my DW's 2002 exp had the same issue. It has made the same loud clunk during hard shifting (passing) or when decelling since we have owned it. We have had it in the shop several times and were convinced it was the transmission. You could force the issue by cranking the wheels hard to one side, shifting into 4 lo and then carefully going between drive and reverse. The shifting and torquing of the engine would create this noise. Finally found it- one of the three 15mm bolts that secured the front diff to the frame was loose and took one full turn. FYI it was the lowest mounted bolt and ironically the easiest to get to.

I hope this helps someone.

Scooter

+1 to the front differential bolts coming loose! Just cured my clunk. Thanks Sc00ter!

My clunk was being at a stop and push the gas, clunk. reverse, stop, drive, gas, clunk. Turn left sharp, push gas, clunk. I thought the same thing, changed the front sway bar links and frame bushings. As well as ball joints, used white lithium grease on every moving part. Turned out to be the drivers side horizontal bolt for the front differential had come loose. I checked the rest , they were good. Never thought they would come loose.

Back