• Register Today It's free!

Possible Cargo Shade Option

TheWagonWheel

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
Like many of you, I would like a real option when it comes to a cargo security shade. I keep tools in the back of my Explorer, so the better I can hide them from prying eyes, the better.

I came across this option on AliExpress.
For Ford Explorer 2016 2017 2018 Rear Cargo Cover privacy Trunk Screen Security Shield shade Auto Accessories-in Rear Racks & Accessories from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

To me, it just looks like the 2013 Escape cargo shade with different brackets. Has anyone measured to see if the Escape cargo shade would work in the Explorer? I'm certainly not about to order one from AliExpress, but thought it might be an option to consider. I'd attempt to fit one if I could figure out if it might work!

I'm new here, and have searched around and haven't seen this particular option discussed. If I'm duplicating a post, my apologies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

/.Doubt escape shade would fit the explorer.
may be check ford accessories page and see the models for each. They had the part numbers I think.

by the way, a new cargo shade for Explorer is almost similar price as that one from alibaba. why don`t you buy the original one?

I've only ever seen the shade that stretches across and isn't a roll back. That won't work very well for me, and I've read on here that it's not a very quality piece. I need a roll back.

Obviously, the escape and explorer are different, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to make an escape shade fit.

Thanks for the hint. I will buy a cargo cover on AliExpress on 11.11, due to the discounts on that day.

Hey Peter,
I made a quick google search on the part number. This "original" Cover seems to be something like a soft cover, without any roll mechanism.
Ford BB5Z7845440AA Cargo Cover | eBay

Anyway: I found 2011-2013 Version for the Cargo Cover on Ali-Express as well, so I will buy one of these:
for Ford Explorer 2011 2018 Quality Black Interior Trims Accessories Rear Trunk Retractable Cargo Luggage Cover -in Interior Mouldings from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
--> cheap one with "cheap" finish

Car Rear Trunk Security Shield Shade Cargo Cover For Ford explorer 2013 2014 2015 / 2016 2017 2018 BY EMS-in Rear Racks & Accessories from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
--> more costly, but seems better quality

I just bought the pricy one, because they reduced the price from 180 to 140 Dollar (incl. Shipping).

Hey Peter,
I made a quick google search on the part number. This "original" Cover seems to be something like a soft cover, without any roll mechanism.
Ford BB5Z7845440AA Cargo Cover | eBay

Anyway: I found 2011-2013 Version for the Cargo Cover on Ali-Express as well, so I will buy one of these:
for Ford Explorer 2011 2018 Quality Black Interior Trims Accessories Rear Trunk Retractable Cargo Luggage Cover -in Interior Mouldings from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
--> cheap one with "cheap" finish

Car Rear Trunk Security Shield Shade Cargo Cover For Ford explorer 2013 2014 2015 / 2016 2017 2018 BY EMS-in Rear Racks & Accessories from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
--> more costly, but seems better quality

I just bought the pricy one, because they reduced the price from 180 to 140 Dollar (incl. Shipping).

I'm curious how either one of those will mount, I don't see any place for brackets on my PIU, maybe civilian models are different.

I'm curious how either one of those will mount, I don't see any place for brackets on my PIU, maybe civilian models are different.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it appears that you will need to attach mounts to your panels. They probably give you a template or measurements on where to screw the brackets. Probably not a big deal if the cover holds up, but you may end up with holes in your panels if you ever chose to remove it.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it appears that you will need to attach mounts to your panels. They probably give you a template or measurements on where to screw the brackets. Probably not a big deal if the cover holds up, but you may end up with holes in your panels if you ever chose to remove it.

That's kinda what it looks like to me also, and it's a solution of which I'm not entirely enamored.

Looks like one would have to cut out access panels in both forward and aft parts of the interior trim in order to use something more trustworthy than those tiny screws, like maybe bolts and lock nuts. Seems like an awful lot of effort for a cargo shade. Might just be easier to use some sort of a nondescript container for one's valuables back there. (says a man who keeps a bright red firefighter gear bag in the back).

You are right about the screws. I guess I will take some blind rivets instead.

You are right about the screws. I guess I will take some blind rivets instead.

That might work. Might still want to pop the trim off to make sure there are no wires back there or anything...

You are completely right.
I made that a couple of weeks ago.

Left = Rear HVAC
right = Amplifier and Subwoofer

so I'm better carefull when drilling holes.

80AA361B-822E-4A04-8AC2-4A754471CE4C.JPG

D23A0377-0A11-4A25-9192-A1FD1399B79B.JPG

I got my Cover yesterday. Unfortunately it is damaged. Aliexpress offers only ~30 Bucks compensation, which is a brazen. I would get full refund, when I return the item, but shipping is 73 Euro and they refund only 20 Dollar.
Beside the damage, the cover is quite good.
I keep you posted.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Reviving this thread as I bought the OEM cover for my 2018 and it is useless - hard to install, looks terrible, and comes loose easily.

What was the fit like?
Was it the right width at the mounting area?
Was the width at the rear door correct?

Thanks!

I got my Cover yesterday. Unfortunately it is damaged. Aliexpress offers only ~30 Bucks compensation, which is a brazen. I would get full refund, when I return the item, but shipping is 73 Euro and they refund only 20 Dollar.
Beside the damage, the cover is quite good.
I keep you posted.

View attachment 165027

View attachment 165028

What was the fit like?
terrible
Was it the right width at the mounting area?
No

Was the width at the rear door correct?
No idea, never installed the cover, because the place for installation of brackets is not flat. You probably have to create an adaptor. I never figured out what I have to do, so the cover still sits in my garage. Nevertheless I got some new end caps out of a 3D Printer for around 10 bucks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No idea, never installed the cover, because the place for installation of brackets is not flat. You probably have to create an adaptor. I never figured out what I have to do, so the cover still sits in my garage. Nevertheless I got some new end caps out of a 3D Printer for around 10 bucks.

Thanks for the reply. It will save me from having to order it to find out it won't fit. Cheers!

Back