Possible to add active parking assist to 2018 Explorer Sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible to add active parking assist to 2018 Explorer Sport?

PVAustin

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Sport
When buying my Explorer my dealer had one Platinum and a couple of Sport models. I liked the look of the Sport package much better, and the only option from the Platinum package I would have wanted was the active park assist, so I bought the Sport and love it.

My Sport has a ton of sensors for the parking assist (though maybe not all the ones needed for APA), and it has motorized steering for the lane keeping system (again, maybe not the one needed for APA). I've looked and there is wiring to where the button would be, so I'm hoping it's possible to add/upgrade any sensors or motors and enable it in the computer or tell it it's a Platinum...

I asked my dealer when I was buying my Explorer and they said you couldn't, but it seemed more like a sales pitch to upgrade me to the Platinum. I'm fairly certain it either isn't possible or would be cost prohibitive, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone had done it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure if the APA feature can be activated with Forscan or not IF it was possible to add the feature. Does your Sync 3 screen show the 'Active' lines? I know in earlier models the active (moving) lines only showed on those with the APA. That may have changed recently. To my knowledge, the Sport has never had this feature and I don't recall anyone successfully adding it. BTW, the Platinum has a parallel and perpendicular park assist.

Peter

You mean the curvy lines that bend with the steering wheel direction? Yes, I have those as well as the static yellow lines.

You mean the curvy lines that bend with the steering wheel direction? Yes, I have those as well as the static yellow lines.
Yes, those "curvy lines". It seems that I recall reading that they have now been added regardless of the APA feature.

Peter

2017 and up added the backup camera with curvy lines on all models with backup cameras .

There are extra sensors required for the active park assist. The normal parking sensors are 4 in the front & 4 in the rear. Active park assist adds 4 more sensors, on each side just ahead of the front wheels, and just behind each rear wheel.

It may be possible, by installing extea sensors, module and programming.

Back