Power running board broke, lots of Qs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power running board broke, lots of Qs

DavidEBSmith

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Mountaineer Premier
So my wife was on vacation and stood on the power running board on our 2007 Mountaineer and it broke. I haven't taken it apart because she found a mechanic to bungee it on so she could get home, but it looks like the board came right off the mounting bracket in the front. And she says it bent the long rod that runs the length of the board.

1. Does anyone know how the board attaches to the bracket? Welded, screws?

2. On the fordparts.com website, it looks like the board is a separate part, # 16490, "Running Board Step Pad". Or is that just the rubber pad on the board (at $470.58)?

3. Assuming it becomes too expensive to fix the broken power board and I decide to toss them and install non-moving ones: Many of the aftermarket boards say they're not for vehicles with rear A/C (which I have), apparently because their brackets bolt onto the frame rail. Some don't say anything about this, either because they fit with rear A/C or because they just didn't say. Does anybody know of aftermarket running boards that absolutely do fit vehicles with rear A/C?

4. If I went with the factory fixed running boards, fordparts.com says "Prime Paint To Match When Color Has Not Been Released For Service". Does that mean they come in primer and I would have to get them painted to match, or that they might come painted but they might be out of the 2007 Mercury color to match my truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Off the top of my head, the long metal shaft that drives the hinges can just be straightened out and it should be fine. As far as how the board is mounted to the hinge, I recall it just being 2 hex flat head cap screws on the inside lip for each hinge.

The board just has 2 bolts holding it to the hinge. You should be able to pull one from the other hinge or side and match it at Lowes/Depot without much problem. The rod connects the back, motor driven hinge to the front static hinge so they fold/unfold together. It appears to be just a hollow tube attached to the hinges with screws. I have a spare assembly if you really need to go there, but I would think you can fabricate a suitable replacement without much effort.

Following up: I finally got the Mountaineer to the shop, our mechanic took the running board assembly off, and here is what we found:

2015-07-02%25252017.27.34.jpg

It's the mounting bracket that's broken. Carp.

The bracket doesn't seem to be available by itself. I doubt it can be welded?

Anybody got a passenger side power running board with a burned out motor they want to get rid of?

Following up: I finally got the Mountaineer to the shop, our mechanic took the running board assembly off, and here is what we found:

2015-07-02%25252017.27.34.jpg

It's the mounting bracket that's broken. Carp.

The bracket doesn't seem to be available by itself. I doubt it can be welded?

Anybody got a passenger side power running board with a burned out motor they want to get rid of?

Whoops! I have the driver's side power board with a bad motor, was thinking how nice I saved it, but now I see you need the passenger side. Check the online parts listings for salvage parts for the board, that is how I located a replacement for mine when the motor failed.

Back