PowerStop sending me wrong brakes twice? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PowerStop sending me wrong brakes twice?

Medic531

Reaction score
City, State
Moore, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer 4x4 XLT
Hey guys I am replacing my rotors and brakes on my 2019 ford explorer xlt 4x4 and I have used powerstop to order the entire kit. The back pads worked but the front pads do not look like the OEM pads and wont go on. Per ford’s service dept I called and gave my vin number to they said I had standard brakes. That is what I ordered. The kit didn’t work so I found another model number for brakes that fit my vehicle or so it said and ordered those and received z36-1508 pads which the powerstop website. They do not fit and do not match the shape of my original pads yet again.

I have attached two photos. The one with two pads in the photo is what they sent me and the one with the single pad is what I currently have.

So do I order heavy duty pads and hope they send me the right ones? This is order #2 that has sent me the wrong pads

IMG_7278.jpeg

IMG_7279.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Amazon product ASIN B07K55XVDY
This is the kit I ordered and back rotors and pads are on it now and had no problems going on.

Front pads are z36-1377 (those didn’t fit)
Ordered z36-1508 (same issue dont fit)

About to order z36-1611 (heavy duty??) and see if they fit cuz the photos looks like what I have now for oem.

Im wondering if the front rotors I have from this kit will work???????

Recommend you contact the vendor's customer/technical support and ask them directly.

This looks like a database error.

After a certain model year, possibly it was 2013 but I am not 100% sure on that, but at least well before 2019, all Explorers came with the heavy duty brakes. I'm also not 100% sure about the base model explorer, but certainly on an XLT.

So yes your first pic is definitely wrong for a '19... but your 2nd pic does not look right either!??

The front heavy duty pads you need should look more like this, never mind if they have a slot in the middle or not, look at the wider shape and the ears on them. Yes, the Powerstop Z36-1611 look like what you need, but keep in mind, they will likely eat up your rotors faster than the factory pads as the trade off for higher friction, stopping performance, which is really only needed for towing down long descents if you already have the heavy duty brakes (or drive it like you stole it. ;) ). Otherwise, ABS kicks in either way for a daily driver not hauling anything:

AD1611.jpg

As J_C mentioned, after a certain point during the 2013 model year production (December I think) Ford changed to heavy-duty brakes on the Explorer.

Peter

This is the kit I ordered and back rotors and pads are on it now and had no problems going on.

About to order z36-1611 (heavy duty??) and see if they fit cuz the photos looks like what I have now for oem.

This kit is standard.

When I did mine I did heavy duty all around for my 2018.

The kit I got from Amazon was K6375-36.

Z36-1611 are the front pads.
Z36-1612 are the rear pads.

Sorry I did not address the rotors. Standard duty front rotors are 325mm. Heavy duty front are 352mm. If what they sent aren't the same diameter as what you have, they won't work.

You wrote that you had no problems with the back rotors going on, but the back are a different size too, so is it possible you have the standard duty on the back when they should be the heavy duty? Standard duty rear are 330mm diameter and solid. Heavy duty are 345mm and vented.

The rear pads, some sellers are claiming they are interchangeable so that might explain why they went on okay, but are they riding too high up on the rotor because it's too small a diameter? Were the rear rotors you took off, 330mm solid, or 345mm vented like pictured below?

vented.rotor.jpg

Back