Powerstroke or Cummings or Duramax??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Powerstroke or Cummings or Duramax???

Originally posted by HokieBert
I'd say the best truck would be the Ford but i'm also gun shy of a brand new Powerstroke... too bad Ford can't pick up Cummins or Banks...

Well any time a new engine comes out, everyone is skeptical, and lets it go for a few years to work out the kinks. The 7.3 PSD is a great motor.... as for cummin in a ford, yea, it'd be cool, but no probs with PSDs... or Banks... that'd be kinda tough since they're a performance after market company
http://www.bankspower.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by RFR2212
Banks... that'd be kinda tough since they're a performance after market company
http://www.bankspower.com

Yeah, they could get together with Ford and have a factory Banks tuned Powerstroke... I dunno.. Its all marketing anyway

DEFINATLY POWERSTOKE. GET THE 6.0

I JUST TEST DROVE ONW ITH MY POPS
WOOHOO. BOY DOES IT HAVE SOME BALLS
drove a 250 supercab 6ft bed
completly done up
it's nice
once it hits 2000rpm it get cruising in a hurry it feels like nos kicks in even though it's just the turbo spooling up.

but dam it's nice:eek: :eek:

alright guys.. ive come to the conclusion that the diesel isnt worth it for me, alhtough id love to have it.. the f240 drove like sh@t and i have no desire to drive something thats that slow and unresponsive.. my choices are now narrowed down to the gmc 1500hd crew cab with a 6.0, gmc 1500 LT extended cab with 5.3, the gmc 2500hd ext cab with 6.0, or dodge ram 2500 quad cab with the new hemi.. i like the dodge becuase it has a lot of nice features, especially with inside the cab room but im also wondering if it is wise to buy a truck that has a first year engine in it.. by the way the warranty, for 841 dollars, covers everything for like 70,000 miles.... any suggestions? thanks for ur help so far.. by the way i want to buy the new truck within the next week. im putting too many miles on the explorer

I was impressed with the power of the 1500/5.3 GM. It had no problem towing 4500#. A 6.0L would be :D I guess it depends on what you will be pulling/hauling.

There's a reason I've been looking for a used F250 with the 7.3L Powerstroke. It's a T444E International V8 Diesel engine that's been rebadged. That engine can take a million miles before being worn out. International puts that thing in alot of their bare chassis for use as school busses. The 6.0 Powerstroke is still made by International but I have my reservations about that engine too because it is specially built for Ford and I wouldn't be surprised if International cut some corners since a pickup won't go through the same stuff as a Heavy Duty truck will. I'm still lookin for a used F250 Clatterstroke for around $20,000.

BGeen a while since I have been here.

Interesting thread.

I have an '01 F150, went to Home Depot and picked up 44 sheets of 1/2" drywalll, and the guy loading it said this wont be a problem with my Ford, good thing it wasnt a Dudge though he said, he had a 1500 in the week before that he went to load a pallet of shingles on and the front end came off the ground, guess they cant handle much weight.

When I went to buy my new truck I looked over all three and determined the best bang for the buck was the Ford. It had the nicest interior, the GM's looked like cheap plastic inside, and cost more. The dodge was just too high priced and didnt compare in the towing range that the GM and Ford did.

The reason I didnt get the F250 or F350 was the engine, which now in retrospect I wish I did. The PS was too expensive, so the only option would be the V10, which is a powerful engine, great acceleration and the most torque out of all of them, but from what I heard at the time, mileage was around 10, so I went with the F150 4x4 5.4L. Mileage is around 14-15, and now I found out after talking to several owners of the V10, that the milage is close to what I get now, around 14. Oh well. I liked the ride of the F250 and 350, it felt like a truck, the 150 feels more like a car, too soft for me, especially when hauling my heavy trailer around, but other than that the truck has been problem free with over 32K on it now. We have some people here with GM and Dudge trucks who have been in the shop 3 or 4 times already, so I'm glad I went with Ford.

My dad had an '01 F150 with V6 for a while when he got a job as a courier between Amarillo and Lubbock. It NEVER went to the dealer for a repair and this truck had some tough miles on it. I mean it had over 50k in the first year and most of that was with a loaded trailer behind it. Ford pickups can take towing and the Powerstroke is the best Diesel of the Big three. International makes a better Diesel engine than Cummins or GM ever thought about making.

Back