• Register Today It's free!

Promote Recall on Blend Door

CO MM

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer V8 AWD
I have followed the many posts in past months from both Explorer and Mountaineer owners who have had problems with their climate control from the resulting failure of the "plenum" blend door. I have a '98 Mountaineer and during the late winter months, I experienced this problem. I contacted Ford online and requested information on getting the door repaired. I knew that there is, to date, only a TSB on this manufacturing defect. Regardless, I contacted them requesting some guidelines to get the problem fixed.

After a short time I received a phone call from Customer Relationships. I explained my problem and they responded that the blend door is not a recall item, which I knew. However, she went on to explain that in order for a recall to take place there needs to be 3% of current owners complaining to Ford/Mercury of this problem. She said that first complaints become a Special Service Bulletin. Then as the complaints increase the Ford engineers issue the Technical Service Bulletin, somewhere around 2.8%. If the problem continues to the 3%, Ford/Mercury will consider a Recall!

Now, I don't know if the Customer Relationship rep I spoke to really speaks for Ford/Mercury but she did encourage me to "spread the word" and encourage owners with this problem to get in touch with Ford! So, here I am spreading the word! So, the purpose of this thread is to encourage any of you who have this defect to contact Ford/Mercury either through email at crcfmc@customersupportctr.com or by calling their 1-800 number, 800-392-3673.

I was impressed that they contacted me so quickly and that I did not get the runaround or a total claim of ignorance of the problem. Please consider contacting them. I really don't want to pull my dash and go through the repair process, nor do I really want to do the quick fix through the glove box. I'd like to see Ford/Mercury take ownership of the problem.

Please post your comments.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good info! Thanks, I sent them an email.

Maybe we could get this one pinned at the top of the forum section so everyone has a chance to get the info and tell Ford. I know for recalls even if you fixed the item yourself (not the temp fix but the pulling the dash fix) or a dealer or private shop you are entitled to be reimbursed as long as you kept any receipts. There is talk of a class action lawsuit as well but I have no idea what the status is of that suit.

Deak

Update-I took my Mountaineer into a local Ford dealership here in Denver. With my third-party extended warranty, I was able to get the blend door replaced. My warranty had a zero-deductible, so I walked away not paying a cent! I also got my power mast for my radio replaced, no cost to me.

The John Elway dealership did a nice job. My extended warranty came through and the problem is fixed! So, despite the equipment defect, I have the problem licked, hopefully never to return! Perhaps the rest of you who continue with this problem can consider contacting Ford/Mercury about your concerns.

Great Forum! Thanks for providing this board! It's been a great resource for my Mountaineer mods and maintenance!

Newby warning but what is: "the "plenum" blend door"?

"Plenum" in this sense has to do with the box where hot and cold air is mixed to provide the desired air temperature. I know that carb intakes, as well as a/c systems in the home have a "plenum." I think, from doing a search on this site, that the main culprit is the door in the heater box that allows hot and/or cold air to mix, breaks and so you don't have any mixing, just hot or cold.

I don't know. I'm sure there are others here that would have a better explanation. Maybe do a search on the blend door, you'll find lots of good material.

Hope that helps.

Back