• Register Today It's free!

Pushbutton 4X4 and manual hubs

mhallack

Reaction score
City, State
Rockland, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
On my 94 XLT it has the pushbutton 4X4 but also has manual hubs too. It seems to be a bit unusual to have both of these since I figured on the pushbutton option the hubs would automatically lock when going into four wheel drive. When I first bought this in august the seller said they had done fixed the hubs. I had noticed the 4X4 buttons didn't work, but had fixed that myself by resetting it (which I picked up from this forum) I tried to move the car by locking the manual hubs and pushing the 4X4 button, won't go at all when you try to steer. With the manual hubs unlocked but 4X4 pushed it does go into four wheel (went slowly on dry ground, you can feel it when turning the wheel)

I am assuming that you don't need to lock the manual hubs with pushbutton 4X4, that's what I'm trying to get at.

The manual hubs were probably put on to replace faulty automatic hubs, or maybe the previous owner just wanted stronger more reliable hubs. The push button activates the shift motor on the transfer case (2HI, 4HI & 4LOW), and all the 4X4 stuff will engage (front drive shaft, axle shafts) except the wheels, unless the hubs are locked. With the hubs unlocked, there is no way to transfer the power from the front drive train to the wheels. Now you can leave your hubs locked and drive around in 2HI with no problems (except less gas mileage from "pushing" the front drive train, and unnecessary wear). When it comes time to use the 4X4 push the button.

I replaced my auto hubs with a set of manuals on my 94. Best thing ever done to this rig.

Just lock the hubs first, place in neutral with foot on brake, then push the 4hi, than the 4lo(which ever you need), and you should be all set.

OH....You do not want to use 4x4 mode on pavement. This can make a real mess of things. Expensive things. Only use on loose surfaces, ie...grass, dirt, mud, ice & snow.

That's weird.... When I bought my x the dealer said the same thing , "They put better hubs on it" and sure enough they are manual hubs with the push button 4x4.

Back