quality of bass response with 4x Pioneer's 6x8 w/o Subwoofer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

quality of bass response with 4x Pioneer's 6x8 w/o Subwoofer

starfirex

Reaction score
City, State
Orland Park, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Ford Explorer E.Bauer
I currently own a 1996 Ford Explorer EB Series. The factory JBL audio system has been working fine for me w/o complaints until my subwoofer decided to take a crap. :(

I realized how bad the audio is w/o my sub. After some research, good subs that fit my factory system might be upwards of $150. Instead, I was going to replace all 4 door speakers (front & rear) with Pioneer TS-A6870R 6x8's. They are about $74 /pair. I WILL NOT replace the woofer.

I just want a good clean sound with a decent bass response w/o the woofer. Will I achieve this with these 4x Pioneer's???? :confused:

I don't know what my power ratings are for my stereo, but I have an existing amp that is installed next to the woofer in the rear back. Is that stock amp wired to the rest of my speakers????
:rolleyes:

Can someone please provide me with expert advise??
:D I don't want to spend my $$$ on 4x speakers if I don't hear much difference. Thanks! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No bass for you with those tiny speakers, maybe if they were enclose they could sound better but not by much.
Which part of the sub stopped working, was it the sub or the amp?
If was the speaker I would just try replacing it with a cheap subsitute.

those pioneer 6X8s probably have the worst bass response out of most name brand 6X8's. dont expect a lot of bass from 6x8s, but pioneers are more suited toward highs/mid-high frequencies. Polk, Audiobahn, and Infinity Kappas are decent for bass. but make you you put an amp on them or kiss your bass goodbye. you would be better off with component sets and a 4 channel amp. some good 5.25's or 6.5's (component sets) would provide much better sound. cleaner midbass and clear highs/ you will get fuller sound and better sound quality.

Argh! I'm not looking for a loud, deep bass, but something with rich-like sound. :eek:

I do appreciate your input on this issue, but am confused about my options. I would rather settle for the speakers and nothing else.

I don't think it is worth the investment of 4 channel amps along with the headaches of re-wiring and installation charges.

There must be decent 6x8 speakers out there with decent bass response that isn't overpowering. I can always increase the bass on my factory EQ knob.

If you didn't want to mod your car over with an amp and re-wire the speakers, what speakers would be worth the investment?

The answer is out there somewhere??? :D :redexp:

But you can get a decent sub replacement for under $50 bucks. Why not do that for its the easiest way and it will sound a little better than stock.

some ppl will disagree with me

but i like the kenwood 3-ways

they are really nice

PEACE

I have a pair of Kenwood Excelon 6x9's that put out enough bass that they sound like 8" subs. These are the ones I have. 6x9's I bought them used so I have no idea if there is something comparable in 6x8's, but I think they would work for what you are looking for.

I compared the pioneers you speak of to the infinity reference 5x7/6x8 in the open backed soundboard (no bass) in circuit city and thought the infinities were easily better in base. With stock power in the ex they did better than stock in base. Much better in treble. Almost anything does. Plus look for efficiency. The more efficient the more volume per watt. The infinities are a little better than pioneeer there too (92db). Cost is $60 at thezeb.com. For $75 infinity has new ref line. see soundomain.

But like the others said, you need more rms to really get full sound..Even at low volumes bass sucks up power.

I have those Pioneer 6X8's and they sound very nice
WITH a sub. They really don't reproduce sub frequencys much at all.
You'll get some real nice tone out of them for sure but very little, if any thump.

:D Thanks for your reply! I honestly do not think you need a sub for your speakers to sound good. I'm not looking for an overwhelming bass response, but an improvement on sound quality. I get way too much high-tones out of my front and rear factories.

The fronts sound worse than the backs, but I'll most likely replace them all. I'm just looking for that hint of bass when the right song calls for it. The pioneer 6x8's have built in woofers, so I'm sure I'll be alright. I'm just looking for more opinions on this issue.

It seems most people recommend amps and subs, but its lots of extra time and $$$ to re-wire everything all for just a little bass. :D :redexp:

Hope to hear more of your thoughts on this! :D

i have the 3 way pioneers and sounded fine before i got my subs and they do put out a little thump its nothing like my subs but its alot better than my stock speakers were.
Ben

I would do the pioneers but thats just me. And I bet you can find thouse cheeper then $74/ pair.

Well Starfirex... if you haven't purchased yet... I have done some hunting around and listening, as I am about to do the same thing... nothing to $$$... just to get Pink Floyd, Bach & Beethoven, and the occasional Rusted Root/Phish sound goin' on demand. I have come down to this... Pioneer 6x8 TS-A6870R ($49/pr)/6880R ($64/pr) or the Infiniti Reference, as spoken about previously. www.SOUNDDOMAIN.COM has GREAT prices on the Pioneers (haven't checked Infiniti R's yet). Beat WALMART big on prices + no TAX. Shipping UPS 2-day to VA Beach from SEattle, WA (gee...can you get any further!!! ($29.95). ...ground $12.95.

Now for the masters' advise... Are these speakers too deep for the mount and interfere with the window operator?????

Originally posted by VBBAYRUNNER
Are these speakers too deep for the mount and interfere with the window operator?????

no
:)

If you want some bass without a sub, might I suggest....

A set of 5 1/4" components, or 6.5" in the front doors... with a good amount of soundproofing, although it probably wont break youre windshield, I've found that the round components sound a bit better than the oval 6x8's... just make sure to (if your against buying an external amo) buy a set of speakers with a rather high sensitivity so you wont need a large amount of power to push em.

Originally posted by leenjen
those pioneer 6X8s probably have the worst bass response out of most name brand 6X8's. dont expect a lot of bass from 6x8s, but pioneers are more suited toward highs/mid-high frequencies. Polk, Audiobahn, and Infinity Kappas are decent for bass. but make you you put an amp on them or kiss your bass goodbye. you would be better off with component sets and a 4 channel amp. some good 5.25's or 6.5's (component sets) would provide much better sound. cleaner midbass and clear highs/ you will get fuller sound and better sound quality.

I agree. I have the Pioneer 3-ways in front and 2-ways in rear. Nice clean sound but the stockers had much better bass response. I really need a sub now.

Back