• Register Today It's free!

Question about the Explorer

kurtg2020

Reaction score
City, State
Galesburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Chevy Silverado
Hello all...I am looking at purchasing a 2017 Ford Explorer Limited/Sport but I had a couple of questions that hopefully that you guys can answer for me.
I was reading a few reviews on line...and a couple reviews mention the small foot wells of the explorer, does anyone notice this? I am 6 foot tall and have size 11 shoes and mostly wear dress shoes and tennis shoes, when I hunt I change into boots in the field, so I would never be driving with boots on, so I wonder what most people experience is.
Seats - Are the bottom of the seats short? Like I said, I am 6 foot tall, inseam is 32, I thought I read where the seat bottoms might be on the short side and might cause some discomfort by the way the hit some people in the bottom of the legs.
Do the back seats move front to back, I mean do they slide front to back? I had a 2011 Traverse, and those did a little bit, so I was wondering about the explorer. Also, the bucket seats in the second row, do the recline past 45 degrees?
I have not driven one for a while, so I was just hoping to see what you guys said before I take a test drive. I am also looking at a 2018 Traverse and a 2018 Dodge Durango. I currently drive a 2014 Chevy Silverado, and with three kids that wont stop growing, I need something the family can fit into a bit better.
Thanks for the help in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I strongly suggest that you take a test drive first before relying on other people's opinions because every one is different. Some find the driver's side foot well just fine and others found it a little cramped.
I for one have no issues with it. I found the seat cushion a bit short initially but am getting used to it. By back seats I'm guessing you are referring to the 2nd row and not the 3rd. The 2nd row has some forward/back adjustment. I'm guessing about 10" or so. 3rd row does not. 2nd row bucket recline is 45 degrees max.
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/driver-seat-and-foot-well-complaints.439651/
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/explorer-dead-pedal-left-foot-rest.326860/
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/uncomfortable-front-seats.311272/
You can browse or download the 2017 Owner's Manual here; https://owner.ford.com/tools/accoun...sults.html?make=Ford&model=Explorer&year=2017

Peter

I'm 6'2", also size 11 shoes, and the car is very comfortable for me. Pedal placement feels good and everything is adjustable from the seats, steering wheel, and pedal adjustments. I have a Sport -- so maybe some of those features aren't available on lower trims. Also have the sunroof which costs some headroom, but I still have plenty of space.

If you want adjustable 2nd row seats, you have to ditch the bench seat option and pay extra for the 2nd row bucket seats. They'll be adjustable, but you'll only be able to seat 6 instead of 7. I have the bench seating.

Initially I had my seat further back, but folding up the second row seat would catch the headrest on the back of my seat, so I moved it up a half inch and it's no longer an issue.

Most of your questions are WAY better answered by a test drive. Just remember that the Sport has the 3.5 exoboost. The limited cannot. So big power difference there.

I recently picked up a 17 Sport with everything on it but the dvd headrests. So far we like it a lot. 2nd row buckets are great.

I'm 6'5" and 240 lbs and it isn't too bad. I do wish that there was a little bit more legroom along with the center console being deeper into the dash, my right legs rubs on it and on longer drives it can get annoying.

On the Explorers defense I purposely tried them out before deciding to purchase one and it really isn't that bad or should I say no worse than any of the others out there for a big person in this vehicle size.

Some people - left leg sometimes feels numb or throbs from the bottom of the thigh at the point where end of seat is under it.
I get this after 2 or 3 hours, (seat set to lowest position). Sort of feels like when your legs don't touch the floor on a long ride & also the seat end area is right on your leg vein.
If you are over 6' tall probably your leg is at a point where you don't have the seat in that spot creating pressure or affecting blood flow.
Models from 2016(?) and up have the dead pedal area angled to the right more, the area slightly "curves" inwards towards your right foot-uncomfortable on long drives.

I heard on the 2016+ models the footwell shape is better, but honestly everything you asked can be answered by a test drive, or even just walking into a dealership and finding an unlocked explorer

Back