Question on attaching pictures | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question on attaching pictures

LeithA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Hi Everyone, I am new to the site. I have had a chirping sound coming from my engine ( 1996 4.0L V6) for about a year now. The noise goes away once the engine has been running for approx. 10-15 minutes. There appears to be several posts related to this issue (for example, see http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207905&highlight=chirping) and it appears that many times this problem is related to the camshaft position synchronizer / sensor. I’m confused about where this part is located. The Haynes manual says that “the camshaft position sensor is located at the front of the engine block on 5.0L V8 engines and at the rear of the block on 4.0L pushrod V6 engines”. After looking at my engine, I still don’t know where this component is located. I was going to post this thread in the “under the hood” forum and attach a picture of the engine so someone could point out where the camshaft position sensor is located. However, I don’t know how to attach an image to a thread. Could someone please let me know how this is done? I have checked the FAQ and it refers to a “pictures and albums” link under the user control panel, but I haven’t been able to find that link! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I believe the camshaft position sensor on the 4.0 OHV engine is located towards the back. But chirping can also be many other things, including a failing A/C compressor, a water pump, and so on. So i guess at this point, pop the hood and try to listen for the exact location of where the noise is coming from.

Back