Quick AC question

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
I'm waiting for new AC lines & accumulator to come in but may need to use my X. The compressor is hooked up. I have not started the X since I was waiting for the rest of the AC stuff to come in. I've been to scared of braking something. Can I drive my X with the compressor installed but nothing else? I have the plastic plug still bolted to the back of the compressor. It's a brand new unit.
I have no accumulator or condenser hooked up. Can I just plug the lines in the evap?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump

If it makes you feel better, you can disconnect the compressor connector, this will ensure it will not engage. As Bb says, whether connected or not there shouldn't be any problem.

Ok I just wasn't sure if I'd blow up a new $200 compressor.

Thanks

No danger. The A/C compressor has an electric clutch, normally it freewheels until energized. The energizing circuit is a switch on the A/C accumulator that closes the circuit at >47 psi refrigerant value. With no refrigerant, you won't reach 47 psi, the pressure switch does not close, and the compressor will not run.

As you surmised running the compressor without refrigerant would be bad. The compressor lubricating oil is dissolved in the refrigerant.

Back