• Register Today It's free!

Random Sensor Warning

Jewelz

Reaction score
City, State
Caledon, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
I am experiencing a bizarre warning that my dealership can't figure out.

Imagine an outline of your vehicle showing up randomly in the middle of your navigation screen, it is outlined in red and it is circling around and around the vehicle, a very high pitched screaming sound, all sensors light up around the vehicle this continues until each sensor one by one shuts off in a countdown order, then the picture disappears (which takes about 20 seconds). You lose the function of your radio, if you are on the phone at the time you can't hear the person talking but they hear this hideous noise. It only happens when I come to a complete stop at a stop light or in my driveway before I shut the car off and it is random. I ordered my vehicle and received it the end of March, 2016, this started happening April 2016 and randomly. In the last 6 months it has happened once a month. The dealership hooked it up to see what codes come up and there are no codes. The dealer replaced the wiring harness at the end of November, 2016 hoping it would fix the issue but it happened again December 23, 2016 and again January 7, 2017. My dealership is scratching their head and can't figure it out. Has anyone else experienced this bizarre activity?? I do have a picture but I can't add it to this post.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's your collision warning, supposed to alert you of an imminent crash.
I get false positives occasionally when I'm stopped at a light next to a bus and then the bus starts to move. Usually it's one of those long articulated buses. Only lasts 1-2 seconds, not 20 though. Sounds like you have a more serious version.
Does your driveway have another vehicle or close to your house when it happens?

That's your collision warning, supposed to alert you of an imminent crash.
I get false positives occasionally when I'm stopped at a light next to a bus and then the bus starts to move. Usually it's one of those long articulated buses. Only lasts 1-2 seconds, not 20 though. Sounds like you have a more serious version.
Does your driveway have another vehicle or close to your house when it happens?
I don't believe that is what he is talking about. He is getting the red proximity warnings that cause the red makers around the vehicle to light up if it is too close to an object.
The Collision warning only displays projected lights on the window and not on the MFT screen.

Peter

I am experiencing a bizarre warning that my dealership can't figure out.

Imagine an outline of your vehicle showing up randomly in the middle of your navigation screen, it is outlined in red and it is circling around and around the vehicle, a very high pitched screaming sound, all sensors light up around the vehicle this continues until each sensor one by one shuts off in a countdown order, then the picture disappears (which takes about 20 seconds). You lose the function of your radio, if you are on the phone at the time you can't hear the person talking but they hear this hideous noise. It only happens when I come to a complete stop at a stop light or in my driveway before I shut the car off and it is random. I ordered my vehicle and received it the end of March, 2016, this started happening April 2016 and randomly. In the last 6 months it has happened once a month. The dealership hooked it up to see what codes come up and there are no codes. The dealer replaced the wiring harness at the end of November, 2016 hoping it would fix the issue but it happened again December 23, 2016 and again January 7, 2017. My dealership is scratching their head and can't figure it out. Has anyone else experienced this bizarre activity?? I do have a picture but I can't add it to this post.
Have you tried a Master Reset or negative battery disconnect? Either will result in some saved memory settings. I don't think the APIM would be involved in something like this but not sure. I don't recall this exact scenario being posted before but I believe another member did have his vehicle diagram surrounded in red as well under a different circumstance.

Peter

Have you tried a Master Reset or negative battery disconnect? Either will result in some saved memory settings. I don't think the APIM would be involved in something like this but not sure. I don't recall this exact scenario being posted before but I believe another member did have his vehicle diagram surrounded in red as well under a different circumstance.

Peter
Yes Master Reset was done the first time, then a month later it happened again. The dealership is completely at a loss especially with no codes coming up. Next step they sent the scenario with the picture to Ford Canada for the Engineers to figure out. Hopefully this gets resolved. Very frustrating.

Yes Master Reset was done the first time, then a month later it happened again. The dealership is completely at a loss especially with no codes coming up. Next step they sent the scenario with the picture to Ford Canada for the Engineers to figure out. Hopefully this gets resolved. Very frustrating.

My wife is the primary driver of our 2016 Limited but I can confirm that this happens to her randomly. Sometimes it will even happen when driving along the highway, although it doesn't usually last for 20 seconds. Initially it was happening in the winter and we thought that it was ice blocking the sensors but it has happened when there was definitely no ice/snow on the car as well.

The
My wife is the primary driver of our 2016 Limited but I can confirm that this happens to her randomly. Sometimes it will even happen when driving along the highway, although it doesn't usually last for 20 seconds. Initially it was happening in the winter and we thought that it was ice blocking the sensors but it has happened when there was definitely no ice/snow on the car as well.
scenario you are experiencing has been reported to Ford because of movement, there has been several reports for that random sensor issue. My situation never happens while I am driving only when I am at a complete stop and everything else around me is not moving and happens every month at least once. I can almost predict now when it will happen, that is how I was able to get a picture of it with my cell phone.

This has also been happening to me randomly. The first time in a left turn lane when a plane flew over and shortly after that in my driveway while backing up. Both times my EX was covered in ice from the same ice storm. My driveway is directly next to my house but there was no other obstructions near by either time. Would be interested to hear if others are experiencing the same thing too.

I case you didn't know, IF it is going off in error or is going off like it should but you are in a drive thru or something you can touch the screen with the vehicle showing the areas it is alerting to and this will mute it.

Back