Ranger is shifting hard. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger is shifting hard.

loneranger65

Reaction score
City, State
Powell River, B.C., Canada (just north of Vancouver)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ranger 4-wheel drive
Hello all. I have a 1998 Ranger 4-wheel drive with the 4.0 liter engine and the previous owner replaced the auto trans. with a used one from the wrecker (that supposedly had 130,00 Km. (78,000 miles) on it) but I don't know for sure if it was replaced with the same trans. as what came originally in the 98 Ranger which I assume was the 5R55E (correct??). That being said I am having an issue with the trans. shifting quite hard from 1st to second gear and also when I am slowing down it shifts from second back down into first with a clunk. I recently had my posi rear end rebuilt and the mechanic there after road testing it said he thought there was an issue with this hard shifting and I should have the band adjustment checked. When I ran this by the only transmission repair shop in town he said it was unlikely the bands but was probably valve guides or some other valve (I can't recall the name) inside the transmission and it would cost $600 to $800 to repair and he said these transmissions are crap and when I said that this one didn't have many miles on it he said he has one on the floor right now with only 19,000 miles on it out of a 2008. Sorry to be so long winded but I'm not sure what the wisest way to go about diagnosing this problem (if it is a problem) would be and whether or not I would be capable of doing it myself. I do most of my own vehicle repairs but transmissions seemed so complicated I've never opened one up. What do you think - is a hard shift a problem on these trans. or should I be glad it shifts hard?

I don't have a code reader to check for codes and I'm not sure what you mean by a flashing O/D light? (do you mean that the overdrive light on the instrument panel would flash?) If that's what you mean - then no - it is not flashing.
The local transmission guy is so busy he charges an arm and a leg. He quoted me $80 just to do a band adjustment. Thanks for your help.
- I'm a pensioner and can't afford to take it to the shop for everything that comes up.
- would the bands being out of adjustment cause it to shift hard? (I know it can cause it to slip if they are too loose but what if they (the bands) are too tight?)
- and also when it downshifts into low it shifts hard and also and gives a metallic sounding clunk that sound like it is coming from the rear end area (nb.- the posi trak differential was just rebuilt so I don't think the metallic noise is coming from there)?

- any help would be appreciated!

Back