Ranger trans worse than before shift kit?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger trans worse than before shift kit??

rickman

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger
I've read so much stuff on the web about transmissions, starting to get a little :confused: '96 Ranger, 3.0, 200K miles showing, don't know history of truck or trans. Runs good but after driving about 5 minutes (warms up), OD light flashes, shifts hard, shudders, and won't go into OD. According to shop, bad 3rd solenoid.

Replaced solenoid and put in a Transgo shift kit at the same time and adjusted bands. Now I only have 1st gear, (linkage is hooked up correctly). Also, no reverse unless you start it up and quickly shift to "R", it will back up for about 2 seconds then stops pulling. Any suggestions??:eek:

Did you replace the low/reverse servo seals? Did you use an in/lb 1/4" drive torque wrench on the valve body bolts? Did you check the internal wiring harness for skinned insulation? Did you replace the EPC solenoid when you replaced the shift solenoid?

Thanks for your response.

I did not replace the low/reverse servo seals (didn't come in the kit) and low/reverse worked fine before (I know, should have).
I did use an in/lb 1/4" drive torque wrench on the valve body bolts and torqued to the correct spec.
I did check the internal wiring harness for skinned insulation and bad connectors and saw none.
I did not replace the EPC solenoid, probably should have but again, seemed to work fine before I took it apart.

I replaced the springs in the kit as instructions stated, replaced the small puck, drilled the hole in the valve body through the wall as instructed, installed the rivet in the VB plate, installed the small aluminum sleeve up in the hole in the trans, and switched out the aluminum end plug (w/ the ball and small cotter key in it). Then of course filled w/ Mercon V. The way the truck acts in reverse makes me think its not getting fluid to the right spot or an electrical issue (will not go in reverse at all unless you put it in reverse immediatly after starting and will only stay in reverse for a second or two then nothing). I'm wondering about the aluminum sleeve and/or rivet in the VB??

Check the reverse modulation valve in the valve body. I would also recommend the Sonnax end plugs, and the boost valve with the O ring design along with the TransTec Viton D ring kit for the low/reverse servo.

Back