RCD lift adjust down to 4 inches? And is $2k a good price? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD lift adjust down to 4 inches? And is $2k a good price?

inh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
I'm thinking about picking up another explorer and doing things right this time, and want to get the RCD kit. I found it here for just under two grand:

http://www.performancecenter.com/partnumber/RCD10-42498

If thats a good price (everywhere else seems to keep it around $2500) then my only other question is can the lift be adjusted down to 4 inches? Im still not sure whether or not I like the way it looks at 5 inches, and 4 is perfect on my other X with 33x12.5 BFG all terrains. Looking at the front coilovers, it would seem that it could be lowered down an inch. Then I would just need a different set of (or adjustable) shackles for the rear..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you only want 4" just install the kit and wait for the springs to sag. The stock springs are only 600s and they drop to about 4" of lift in about a month or 2. I am running 750# springs and have mine cranked up almost all the way and I MIGHT have 6" out of it.

What are you doing for the rear? Don't forget if you have the "CV" style front driveshaft its not going to last long. You'll need the $400 one from Superlift.

I figured your springs were sagging because you have a V8, but then again I dont think the weight difference was that much between the V6 and V8..

For the rear I was going to go SOA with deaver springs. Good call on the driveshaft, it's been so long since I looked through the threads I forgot about that..

What springs are you running? And just to verify, the kit does come with the shock tower reinforcements right? They aren't shown in the pic on RCD's website =/

ninja edit: this is the driveshaft, right? http://www.superlift.com/Catalog.asp?P=9636

not so ninja edit two: doesnt the rear driveshaft need a spacer or to be lengthened as well? Hrm, going to need to sit down and read through those threads again soon..

If your going SOA then you need 6" in the front to be level. I am running Eibach #750s with no complaints. Some people are running 800s and 850s just to get an extra 1/2" or 1/4" but I am sure the ride quality starts to suffer.

Yes the reinforcements are included and that is the right driveshaft.

That is a great price, but you also need to use smaller ranger rotors. I have 800 lb springs on my ST and it rides great.

Chad

That is a good price, I was looking in to buying just the coilovers and brackets to the tune of ~$1000. I could buy this and sell my superlift stuff. :scratch:

I know someone who could use a driveshaft ;)

I thought you could order springs from deaver with whatever size arch and rate you wanted? Hrm.. Decisions decisions.. I dont really want 6" of lift..

My driveshaft wouldn't do you any good- mine is what you'd call "custom"

SOA will get you way too much in the back, especially if you want 4" in the front. I had mine with a full TT Crank, 4" superlift and my SOA was still way to high. After trying different spring packs and combinations, I ended going back to SUA.

Hrm... Maybe I'll just get deaver springs with a taller arch and keep it SUA =]

Boomin- doesn't the RCD kit widen your front track 1"?

If so, how?

I don't even think its that much. The spindles set it out about 3/8" on each side. There is a spacer in the kit that slides on the CV splines before you put it though your wheel bearing.

Back