Real-Time Monitoring of Engine Data of 1st Gen Explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Real-Time Monitoring of Engine Data of 1st Gen Explorers

VA7LFD

Reaction score
City, State
Langley
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited Edition Expl
Is there a device that will enable you to monitor your engine as your driving on the 1st gen Explorers? I know it is not OBDII compliant but just putting out there if it is even possible with the tech that the 1st gens have. Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question.....

As far as an off the shelf product goes, only one I have read of is the "quarterhorse", plugs directly into the ecu via the pop-out for the mystery connector. Don't know if this logs data that is pre or post ecu though. If it's post ecu, then sensor values may be different than directly probing sensors, especially if the ecu is failing/defective/>leakycaps. A separate pc is required. reading a bit more another option called the Tweecer exists.

Never done any datalogging that wasn't obd2 though, so no recommendations to offer.

But why not just fill your dash with a bunch of individual analogue volt,amp,psi,tac,and vac guages, and set up a camera to watch them all? Maybe go full unicorn poop pinball style led's for permanent noid lights....

Is there a device that will enable you to monitor your engine as your driving on the 1st gen Explorers? I know it is not OBDII compliant but just putting out there if it is even possible with the tech that the 1st gens have. Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question.....
Yes, if you can find a vintage MT2500 scanner, it will give you a full datastream. They are between 100-200$. Make sure it has the ford adapters and keys. 94 probably has as many pids as an OBD 96.

I know a 91 Ford had plenty of data PIDs. Prior to 90 or so it was just codes and maybe very limited data.

There is also a ford tool but it is probably pretty rare.

Back