• Register Today It's free!

Rear axle ID'ing

91ebexp

Reaction score
City, State
Port St. Lucie, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer
As per my "towing package" thread I am to assume I have said towing package but I still don't know if I have the limited slip differential.

If my memory serves me correctly, my door plate says I have Axle 45??

(Please note: I did a search on everything axle related and could not come up with the answer I desire)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That was a huge help. Thank you.

Now that we know whats there....what are my options? Locker? LSD? spool??

In the future I might step up to 31's so I want something that can take some light wheeling and see towing action.

All 3 are options.. it depends on what you want to do..

A spool is a bad idea for anything that will see street duty..
Full locker (auto locker) will be interesting if you see snow/ice
selectrable locker will work great off-road and still give you great street manners
LS/Posi is also an option.. better on the street than a lockers, but isn't quite as effective off-road, but some are very tight and help quite a bit off-road..

You can also re-gear to a different ratio.. 4.10 is the deepest I'd go if your going 31.. If you may eventually go 31 and will be at 30's for now I'd go with 3.73. 4.10 is good for 32" tires and 31" tires.. but 30" it will be too far to the extreme.

~Mark

I was looking at a powertrax unit. They are going for about $250.00 on ebay and from what I hear, I can install it myself with no moddifications or special tools.

Anyone running a powertrax locker??

I used to run (its still there, I just don't drive it anymore) a powertrax lockright locker in a ford 9" on a 4x2 van.. You could tell it was there.. especially starting off at a light while turning (just like my current detroit locker in the X).. It was pretty easy to install.. Its a lunchbox locker.. and it does not replace the carrier (like the full detroit does).. that means its not as strong, but it seems to be holding up for most people.

~Mark

91ebexp said:
I was looking at a powertrax unit. They are going for about $250.00 on ebay and from what I hear, I can install it myself with no moddifications or special tools.

Anyone running a powertrax locker??
Yep
no problems with mine, easy install (takes some time) you can download the entire install in PDF from the PT site.
If from Ebay, make sure it will work for you, enjoy :D

Back