Rear Bumper Project. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Bumper Project.

Actually it wasn't all that hard...it went together fairly easy.

It on;y took a coupla days to get it together...I call that pretty damn good! :D

I probably would'a just bought one, but I wanted to have some fun with it, I had some built up aggression to get rid of. :p

Between all the "F's" and "S'es" things went pretty well! ;)

I followed lead from a couple of people here that already put snorkels together...it's a Safari head and 2 1/2 Electrical PVC conduit.

The link in my signature has pics of the install.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, it turned out great. Your truck is cool! Sounds like there is some big plans for it. I have heard of all kinds of people wanting that bumper, but I have never seen one on a truck. T/R makes some nice stuff.

I like the snorkel too. I just decided me and my Xj buddies are building them! One concern, where did you get the Safari tip and what did it cost? I appreciate it. I can't seem to find them on any websites.
Also, do you have any problems with rain sucking in or anything?

Thanks! Sweet truck!

Thanks, but so far I've just been following in the footsteps of the sweet trucks here.

And everybody passes along great info on how to get things done...

I got the head from OK 4 Wheel Drive the rest is 2-1/2 inch electrical PVC conduit.

They were cool at OK4WD, they ordered the head for me and it came the following week- right to my door, it ran about $75.00+shipping I think.

It has a separator (sipes) built in to remove rain...I've been caught in some serious downpours with it and never found a drop of water in the airbox when I opened it.

Oh, and I tried to get TrailReady to build me a back bumper, but because everybody avoids these trucks like the plague...it was no dice.

Originally posted by cdsl227
Oh, and I tried to get TrailReady to build me a back bumper, but because everybody avoids these trucks like the plague...it was no dice.

It's crazy huh!! I run into crap about my Explorer all the time. Nope can't mount those tires on an Explorer rim, nope we won't do an alignment on a lifted Explorer, nope we can't even sell you the tires if we know its going on an Explorer, nope sorry but they don't make any kind of lift kit for an Explorer "It's just too dangerous", you say you have a lift kit and want a part for it, even if we could get a part Management won't allow us to sell you it, Why put any money into an Explorer its got no value since its so dangerous to drive with that TTB.

Man I have heard so many of these comments that I get PO'd now when I hear someone refer to my rig as an Exploder. Every time I call for a part it's " now what was that for an Exploder", and my blood boils!!:mad:

In some cases were I know the parts are identical I say Ranger and they look at me say, wait aren't you the guy with the Exploder....Aaauuuggghhh!!

If they only knew how great these trucks really are...

There's gotta be something good to say about the best selling, all around most reliable vehicle on the road...oh yeah! I remember now!! The V8 is a 302!!! You can't beat that! :D

I've found the 302 to be the most reliable engine...I've had a 302 in like 3 Fords I've owned, and it's always a pleaser!

To the idiots that think these trucks are death traps or a rollover waiting to happen- P!SS OFF!! :D

Learn how to drive!

Just found this thread and all I can say is that I'm really impressed with the rear bumper, and your fab skills considering you just got the welder. I think I may have to pull a "Cdsl227 Bought a welder and went from there," I've never done more than brazing before but really want a wire feed/MIG machine to start fabbing.

On the rear, why not integrate a 2" reciver into the bumper? Then you could remove the hidden hitch which 1) looks ugly (sorry) and 2) kills your departure angle.
Shouldn't be too hard, even with the air tank back there. Just a little reinforcing and you'd be good to go.

Also, why not add some shackle mounts to the bumber, like the front. Those would look very good (kind of like the H2's rear bumpers) and be VERY functional.

awesome work!!!! Looks incredible!

Back