Rear Center Console question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Center Console question

vegastime

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
I am looking at a new Explorer and am debating on the rear bucket seats.

If you have the rear center console, and all the seats are folded down, does this leave the leather top of the rear console exposed?

Do not want to fold the rear seats down, and not have a flat surface, or, have the arm rest of the console exposed. Afraid it could get scratched, if you carrying cargo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My dealer showed me during our test drive that with the seats folded down the leather top of the console was a bit over the seats. He said that a "friend" opens his and made a wooden top to cover the console to level it with the seats when down. He stated that he hoped that Ford would later offer a cover to fit over it. I decided to purchase a black moving blanket to match my interior to prevent scratches when hauling stuff.

Thanks.

One last question. I think the rear buckets recline, but, do they slide back and forth? I thought I read that they did.

If so, I assume this would give more leg room over the bench seat?

Yes they do slide back and forth. They also have a PowerFold and tumble feature. They have about 2 inches more legroom then the bench. The console lid opens backwards to create a totally flat load floor that wont scratch the leather on the lid :)

Yes they do slide back and forth. They also have a PowerFold and tumble feature. They have about 2 inches more legroom then the bench. The console lid opens backwards to create a totally flat load floor that wont scratch the leather on the lid :)

Have not heard about the powerfold for the second row buckets. What is the powerfold? Is this similar to the third row seats power folding?

Have not heard about the powerfold for the second row buckets. What is the powerfold? Is this similar to the third row seats power folding?

Yes! Heres a little video I made on ours.

No, its not like the third row. There is a button on the pillar that can press to fold and toss the seat forward. You have to put the seat back up manually.

Back