• Register Today It's free!

Rear Diff Fluid Change Question

2000co

Reaction score
City, State
Englewood, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer V6 AWD
Getting ready to change fluids and got several questions. Thanks for your help in advance!!

Rear diff –
How many bottles of 75-140 gear oil I need to buy? Per the owner manual I need 3.5 pints which is 2 bottles, does that include the 1 pint I need to add to the wheel speed sensor?

Front Diff and T-Case – any special instructions on how to do the fluid change?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're covered with the 2 quarts. Just did mine a few weeks ago. That sensor is just a bit tricky to locate. It's up there though and someone had a nice pic in another thread.

How much oil you put before it start flowing from the fill hole?

I was thinking to lift the back of the truck when it's start flowing and add the pint from the fill hole insted

I got one quart plus a 1/4 of the second quart to reach the fill hole. Then the additional pint from the sensor port. I don't recommend tilting the truck to add the additional amount.

Any special instructions for the t-case and front diff?

T case is pretty straight forward. Front dif does not have a drain plug, so you either have to pop the cover off or suction the old fluid out. I chose to suck it out because removing the cover would be a real pain in the ass with a cross member in the way.

Back