• Register Today It's free!

rear differential ?

fbodyrs96

Reaction score
City, State
Calhoun GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I tried searching but, I still can't find the answer I'm looking for. we have an 02 explorer and the rear differential gasket is leaking, how do you get the differential cover off and out to change any help, pics or suggestions would be great...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

should just undo the bolts around the outside of the differential and pull it off.. ill check my chiltons manual when i get home in about an hour and let you know for sure. should be pretty simple though.

thats what I thought too, but it has the IRS, which has the rear arms bolted through the cover, so when you take the bolts out, I still don't see how there would be room to get the cover off and out??

well worst case you man need to go ahead and drop the diff (two mounting bolts and the axles), my manual doesnt cover a simple gasket replacement for some odd reason. but i see what you mean, that rear structure is in the way big time.

Yep, you need to drop the rear case. The gasket is just RTV, so you have to clean the surfaces and re-apply the silicone.
There are a total of 3 mounting bolts, you need to remove the driveshaft, both cv shafts, remove the nuts from the inboard side of both rear toe adjusters, remove the lower bolt at the knuckles, disconnect the wheel speed sensor on top of the case, and disconnect the breather tube on top of the case. After all that you can drop it down with a floor jack. (Obviously you want to do the mounting bolts last.)

Back