rear leaf spring problems '98 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear leaf spring problems '98

golby

Reaction score
My rear leaf springs seem very weak. I've had a new set replaced by Ford under warranty and 20,000kms. Now at 24,000kms they are again showing signs of being stuffed again. Then longest / top leaf has a downwards bend at each end and all the wear slippers are either snapped off at the round spigot or totally worn out. Ford will replace again under warranty. Is anyone else having similar problems. First indication of the slippers wearing out is a squeeky rear end. Have a close look at yours, it may be the same. I took particular notice of clearances when the new springs were fitted and it has since sagged 20mm or .750 inches. Yeah they may be some initial settling but combined with the slipper wear I don't feel it's right at all. Ford admit this by replacing the springs but don't seem to provide an alternative fix. I do some serious offroad and get lots of mud in the leafs but they get high pressure cleaned when I get home every time. Any clues?

Happy Exploring
Regards Paul Golby

Hello-mate,
I have a 98 Sport and try to do some serious offroading. At least as serious as a stock sport can do. I have not run into any problems with my rear leaf springs. Actually its rear leaf spring. I just have one on either side. I will take a gander at them and see if anything looks suspicious.

------------------
98 Sport 4.0L SOHC auto
If your not flyin
Your not tryin

Back