• Register Today It's free!

rear power window cables

yellowcat

Reaction score
City, State
las cruces new mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4x4
Okay, after messing around at the junk yard half the day I am no where smarter than before going to the junk yard. My Explorer cable is broken, in many pieces.
That is the way I bought it. The motor and bushings are new.
I took the motor out of the door, drilling the rivits, the motor works like a dream. I removes the three square head bolts that hold the cable onto the motor. Okay no problem to replace the cable to the motor. However the cable set up in the door is ridiculously complex. I am thinking of going back to the junk yard and grabbing the old door. At least that cable is intact.
So after an hour of looking I can not find out how to connect the new cable to the window assembly. This is a bummer, this will be expensive, no doubt.
I have three 11mm bolts accross the bottom of the window, which when removed do nothing because the window is held in place by the track and weather seal. Can anyone send me a link to this specific fix. No one seems to get into this? The part pulls at the junk jurd moaned when I asked them. My mechanic looked at it and said, looks like one window less.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can go to ford and have the parts guy print you out a blown up asselmbly diagram. I have one of the back window somewere I may be able to scan and send to you.

but I have to work now. Ill get back to you.

thanks seth

no real hurry, i braced that window so it is not moving, I need to fix the plumbing in my house first. I called the stealership, they said the regulator comes with the cables attached, meaning I need to fork over three hundred dollars to fix this. I can buy some jet cable at home cheapo and maybe rig up something. You would think that the dealer would sell a plastic clip that would hold the cable to the window!

Never thought ebay

Ebay has the parts and real good pictures of what I was looking at. So here is where I m at. I drilled three pop rivets to remove the motor. From there I removed the three square bolts that hold the transmission to the motor. On the very bottom of the door I drilled two pop rivits holding the track in place. Next I drilled two more pop rivets holding the door glass bracket to the window track bracket. After that there will be three 11 mm bolts across the top holding on the rest of the window regulator bracket. These bolts may still be covered by the plastic dust cover. After that everything drops down and can be wiggled out. Watch to support the window glass as it can freely move, and could possibly break.
So now I have a few options I hope, stealership, 300$.. ebay, 150 new, 60 used. Junkyard, between fifty and twenty dollars. Or, I go to the hardware store and fabricate the cable setup. I am not working now so working all day on this is not a big deal. I think if I was a high paid executive I would order the new regulator off e bay. I have a digital camera, how could I post a picture?

Back