REAR VIEW MIRROR!!!!

MO_GUY

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Farber, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explo Sport 4.0 SOHC
A few days ago my mirror fell down. I'm assuming from all the heat on the glass plus the shaking from my subs. Well now I've tried to put it back up and I can't get it to stick if my life depended on it! The first time I just tried to stick the whole mirror up there and held it for about 3 minutes, didn't work! Next I actually took the metal piece out of the mirror and stuck it there and let it cure for about 30 minutes, well it stayed on til I had to get it to slide back over that metal tab on the mirror and it was so hard to get on there I just pushed it right off the glass again. Now today I tried again both ways and it still didn't work........what the hell am I supposed to do!!!!!

BTW- I have the rear view mirror with the autolamp/dimming

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What glue are you using? There is a special glue just for this application that you could get at any parts store. Try putting them on a sunny day (rare around here). You have to leave it for a day before trying to mount your mirror. In the meantime, enjoy the wide view of the road.:D

Just to clarify what X-factor said.

You CAN NOT mount the mirror it's self.
You mount the " button " first after that fully drys then you mount the mirror.

Why, thank you very much, MONMIX.;)

That happens very commonly to the Ford rearviews. I can't tell you how many times when I had my Lincolns I came out after playing golf to find it just hanging there by the power cord LOL. It was so bad on the 93 Lincoln that I just threw away the auto dimming mirror and mounted a normal one, much lighter.

Ditto what others said, make sure you're using the right glue. If you want to make sure you're doing it right, I'm sure an auto glass company wouldn't charge you more than $20 or so to put it back on the right way.

It also helps the seal if you clean both the button and the windsheild with rubbing alcohol to remove the old glue. Once it falls off the fist time, expect to be gluing it back on once a year!

NCSUDockhead, I'm guessing you go to NC State?? I'm a Junior there.

How do you remove the Mirror "Button"

to raise the mirror? I accidently re-mounted mine a little too low with the mirror glue.How do you remove the Mirror "Button"

My rear view mirror recently fell off. Found rear view mirror glue at the local Lowe's for less than $2. You razor blade off the plastic piece on the windshield, apply the glue, press against the windshield for 60 seconds, and then drive on.

I would speculate that you could force a razor blade in a holder between the windshield and metal button to remove it.

How do you remove the Mirror "Button

Sadly, you really cannot without some risk. The glue mfgr recommends against removing it by prying. You might try a razor blade or razor knife but you have a big problem on your hands. Sorry.

Happy Exploring

Chris

I just took mine to a windshield shop and they put it back on for free. Good as new now.

The first step in replacing the mirror button is to mark w/crayon on the outside of the WS where the button was. Then you clean the inside & remount.
I know, I know...Now I tell you....

Mine fell off also. Cleaned window with a razor blade and alcohol, used the alcohol on the mirror metal piece. Bought epoxy from local auto store - worked fine. Most epoxies will break down or at least soften up with some solvent, try MEK or acetone instead of just alcohol.

all you have to do is scrape clean with a razor, clean with alcohol and use loctite # 404 (i believe thats the number) its a gel adhesive spec. designed for vertical applications

I just did a reglue, and posted the procedure with pics... in case it might help anyone in the future..

Dead Link Removed

Happy Exploring

Chris

Mirror positions

Just for the record - the Explorers have two swivel points on the rear view mirrors, thereby allowing for an almost infinite number of positions. It is almost impossible to mount the "button" too low on the windshield (I said almost because i'm sure some of you'all can and have done anything).;)

I need help!

I'm replacing my auto dimmer rear view mirror that fell off. I got it glued and put the mirror housing on the windsheild. Its the plastic wire channel (long slender piece coming out of the headliner) that I cant fit into the plastic receiving end (bevleled plastic piece that snaps onto the mirror housing). There is no play. I tried to bend the channel no go. I decided to put the channel into the plastic piece and snap it on the mirror's housing. I got this close )( to getting it on and.... BAM!! louder than "Emirl live". off came the mirror. I thought the windsheild broke.

Anyone run into this problem. My guess is the headliner has to come down so I can get more slack in that channel piece. I need to raise the channel piece up a quarter of an inch.

Help!

Just a few thoughts why my first attempt failed (mirror fell off when I put force on it-see above)

#1: I sanded the button until it was flat like Glacier991 said to do in the excellent instructions linked above.
#2: Instructions with the glue say to put one drop of glue on the center of the button but instead I spread it out evenly.
#3 I waited for an hour before installing

What I did different this time:

#1: I noticed the window is curved slightly so I resanded the button to match the curve in the window.
#2: I didnt spread the glue - it all went on the center.
#3: I let it sit overnight parts man suggested it.

Summary, I would not sand the button. Just scrape it with a razor blade to make sure all the old glue is off and clean well with alcohol. Second dont get **** like me and try to spread the glue over the surface. Its more important to get the button on the windsheild as soon as possible.

Back