rear windsheild wiper motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear windsheild wiper motor

rockhaven

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
My 1999 explorer rear windshield motor only works for a short time.
I have replaced it several times. It works after installing a new motor but only for a short time. You can hear the motor making noise (clicking sound) and if you move the rear wiper blade it will start working (every time) but a day or so later it will stop again. I have replace and relocated the up and down wiper fuses but still have the same problem. The motors are from AutoZone with a lifetime warranty, so replacement them only take 10 minutes. It has nothing to do with the wiper blade; even if it is removed I have the same problem. I am tried of getting out and have to move the wiper blade for it to work.

Thanks in advance for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome rock and that sux bout ur windshield problem

The wiper has a plasic gear. It is stripped out the first couple of teeth.

rear windshield wiper motor 1999

Thanks for the responding.
What you are saying is that the rebuilt wiper motors that I am getting from auto zone have bad gears. Has anyone else ever had this concern? I could take the cover off the motor gearbox and see if the gears are bad.

My 1999 explorer rear windshield motor only works for a short time.
I have replaced it several times. It works after installing a new motor but only for a short time. You can hear the motor making noise (clicking sound) and if you move the rear wiper blade it will start working (every time) but a day or so later it will stop again. I have replace and relocated the up and down wiper fuses but still have the same problem. The motors are from AutoZone with a lifetime warranty, so replacement them only take 10 minutes. It has nothing to do with the wiper blade; even if it is removed I have the same problem. I am tried of getting out and have to move the wiper blade for it to work.

Thanks in advance for the help

its not a functional blade to me anymore. sooo..
I just ripped it off all together. seems like the car wash bends and eats all of my blades. Causing the paint to chip and horrible scratches where the blade rest.

Back