Received my letter from Ford - Cooling Fan reprogram | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Received my letter from Ford - Cooling Fan reprogram

Hey guys, are the 2013's involved in this Cooling Fan Customer Satisfaction Program? I never received any letter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do not believe this alert applies to the 2013's as it was corrected on the assembly line prior to release........

Hey guys, are the 2013's involved in this Cooling Fan Customer Satisfaction Program? I never received any letter.
As plumbago posted, it does not apply to the 2013 models. It was a problem that plagued some of the 2011 Explorers and the Cooling Fan Customer Satisfaction Program requested those owners to go to the dealer and have the control module reprogrammed to randomly run the fans at a higher speed to prevent a build up of corrosion on the motor contacts.

Peter

Thanks

I’m sorry I didn’t see your reply sooner, GeoMimi89. My technical adviser confirmed a 2013MY would have all the previous updates applied at the plant.

I do not believe this alert applies to the 2013's as it was corrected on the assembly line prior to release...
As plumbago posted, it does not apply to the 2013 models...
plumbago & Peter,

It’s great to see this community always being so helpful; thanks! :thumbsup:

Cory

Extended warranty

Does Customer Satisfaction Program 12B36 extended warranty for cooling fans? My fans stopped working about 1.5 year after this recall and dealer charge my $700 for replacing.

Chris

Letter came in the mail today. I didn't type every section, just the important ones.

Customer Satisfaction Program 12B36

What is the issue? On your vehicle, contamination can build up on the internal electrical contacts of the engine cooling fan motors, causing the fans to be inoperative. Inoperative engine cooling fans could lead to high engine temperature gauge readings and reduced air conditioning performance. Continued operation of the vehicle could result in illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and eventually cause the engine to automatically enter derate (reduced power) mode.

What will Ford and your dealer do? In the interest of customer satisfaction, FMC has authorized your dealer to inspect the operation of the engine cooling fans on your vehicle and replace them if necessary. In addition, your dealer will reprogram your vehicle's PCM to prevent contamination from accumulating in the future.

This service will be performed free of charge (Parts and labor) under the terms of this program.

This CSP will be in effect until May 1, 2013 regardless of mileage. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

What should you do? Please call your dealer without delay and request a service date for Customer Satisfaction Program 12B36. Prove your VIN.

Do you need a rental vehicle? If your dealer determines that the cooling fans on your vehicle require replacement, your dealer is authorized to provide a rental vehicle for your personal transportation at no charge while parts are on order.

The ESP does not extend the period for this Customer Satisfaction Program. It is not a TSB. The program was free up to May 1, 2013.

Peter

As Peter said, Ford was reprogramming free of charge up till the date specified. If you have an extended warranty, this would be covered under the Premium one. However, there was no extension on warranty for the fans.

I would have contacted Crystal on here.. Ford should be footing the bill for this IMO. I know there has to be a line drawn when it comes to warranty and how long to cover parts/labor.

However, if there is a repetitive issue among many Explorer's, it now becomes a design flaw IMO and should be covered by Ford. There are way too many fan failures just like the power steering where a customer should not have to suffer out of pocket expenses.

These vehicles are 1-4 years old only and this crap should not be failing this frequently like this.

Back