Recomendations on Struts for My XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recomendations on Struts for My XLT

falt_2002_xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Easton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
I have a 4WD 03 Explorer XLT with 187K trouble free miles and am looking to replace my struts all around (about time 'eh). The Truck came with HD/Trailer Suspesion Package and I was looking for a recommendation on an appropriate set of Struts.

I see that Ford offers a "standard" or a "handling/rough" duty on some web sites. I assume "handling/rough" = "Heavy Duty".

1. Does anyone know who MFGs Fords OEM Shocks?

2. Does anyone have any recomendations for an replacement that is equal to the OEM HD?

3. How can I tell if my springs are OK (they are not cracked), can I just assume they are and replace the Shocks only?

Any advice is appreciated....

OK!! i got a set of KYB shocks off of ebay for pretty cheap and have been totaly satisfied, they provide a firm and smooth ride to my rig. If you have the extra coin, id replace those springs as long as you have the struts off, just to be safe.

Monroe makes something called Ready Strut comes pre assembled with springs.
I've put Monroes on my heep about 8 years ago and 70k, still going strong. . .knock on wood.

OEM's are stiff, Monroes would be a softer ride. I've good luck with KYB's too. . .

Back